PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 8.10 Release Party

dthomasdigital
September 26th, 2008, 04:55 AM
Time to start coming up with ideas for the next release party!

randancing
September 26th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Online or face to face?

Nxion
September 27th, 2008, 01:10 AM
Face to face would be better because if people had problems or questions then they could ask them in person rather then email. Some problems are just better explained in person :) I know this from past issues I had and having to relay on just email communication.

randancing
September 27th, 2008, 06:55 AM
What would be cool would be to burn 15 or 20 copies of the new release and set up in a pizza parlor or where ever we could get permission and maybe come up with a couple of old laptops just to demonstrate the ease of use.
I've read that Ubuntu likes for the teams to stick to using other user groups demonstration days in order to avoid legal complications, so this might not be a viable idea.
It would be cool though.

randancing
September 27th, 2008, 11:40 PM
I have been reading the wiki about release parties and all I can say is--

That looks like a big job.

I was curious if the release party is viewed as an opportunity to spread the word about Ubuntu or if the admins want to keep amongst the core group and members of nm-loco. Restricted to the core group will be much easier, but far less productive. Kind of like preaching to the choir.

A public release party would need some time to organize.

What is the release date?
What location would be most likely to attract people who would be interested in Ubuntu? (As example; I live in area of University. Down here you would attract the young and possibly a great many of the elderly. I suspect that this is not a good area to attract professionals or those who own or work in a more 'office' like setting, although I do see a great many 'boomer' types roaming around on the weekend)

Where to hold it (many businesses would view it as an opportunity to draw a crowd, such as a coffee shop or a pizza parlor).

Publicity (newspapers since they are desperate to figure out how to be relevant to modern life), fliers, Maybe a banner or window poster for the location.

How and what of the party. How to present the OS, ( looked on the Ubuntu site and I notice that copies on CD can be purchased, but I personally don't have the spare change at the moment, as I'm sure others don't.)

So how do you get the copies to demo and distribute? How long does it take to have them shipped? Planning, always planning.

What will be the process for the party. Algorithims are so important. How will it be demonstrated? Who knows enough about the system to demonstrate and are they available? What would be the limits? (would it be safe and sane to attempt to put it on someones laptop for them? I think not.)

I say again---

That looks like a big job.

dthomasdigital
September 28th, 2008, 10:27 PM
The Release parties are open to everyone and your right it is a little bit of work to get them off the ground. In the end however it's just a party and we use it to get together with old friends and make new ones.

Click here (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NewMexicoTeam/April,_25_2008) to see what we did at the last one. We are getting pretty good at putting events together. We are planning the next party now, and your thoughts to the release party page (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NewMexicoTeam/IntrepidIbexParty) and I will look forward to meeting you.

dthomasdigital
October 19th, 2008, 12:30 AM
The release date is the 30th but scheduling it at a later date will get us past Halloween and let us get some copies burned.

Intrepid Ibex release Party November 8th, 2008 from 6:00pm till 9:00pm

At the Down Town Flying Star, Albuquerque New Mexico

chrinabuntu
March 12th, 2011, 05:49 AM
The Release parties are open to everyone and your right it is a little bit of work to get them off the ground. In the end however it's just a party and we use it to get together with old friends and make new ones.

Click here (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NewMexicoTeam/April,_25_2008) to see what we did at the last one. We are getting pretty good at putting events together. We are planning the next party now, and your thoughts to the release party page (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NewMexicoTeam/IntrepidIbexParty) and I will look forward to meeting you.

Oh wow...this is just the thread I was looking for! I've been posting messages randomly asking what the heck goes on at these release parties...and here is a big ol' post with pictures! I thought the links were broken cuz they don't show in the post, but if I enter the url, I can view the images. Maybe cuz they're old. Still...looks like the latest (saw it somewhere else) was a Maverick party. So I missed it. Dang, I just finally upgraded to Maverick a couple of days ago. Would've been nice to attend it! Hopefully I can make the next one.

Chris

Quadunit404
March 12th, 2011, 05:52 AM
But did you really have to necromance a thread just to state that...?

chrinabuntu
March 12th, 2011, 11:51 AM
??

That waskind of rude,dude. And you're in MA anyway...what do you care what's posted in the NM forum? You could've held on to that thought.

rtalcott
February 23rd, 2013, 03:06 PM
13.04 coming soon!

matt_symes
February 23rd, 2013, 03:16 PM
Old thread. Closed