PDA

View Full Version : WOOHOO Finnally Wiped Vista :D

Ms_Angel_D
September 26th, 2008, 04:48 AM
So I finally wiped the vista partition off my computer, and I don't know why but the whole system feels faster, anywho I'm glad to be rid of it, I never logged into it anyway. :grin::grin:

Just excited to be free of it and so I thought I would post that I had done it ;)

Angel

earthpigg
September 26th, 2008, 04:59 AM
i still have 130 gigs of my 160 gig hard drive devoted to vista, with ubuntu tucked away in the rest... i havent booted vista in like 3 months.

*shrug*

grats to you tho ;)

pastormick
September 26th, 2008, 05:54 AM
That sigh of relief that you imagine you heard was your computer saying, "what took 'ya?"...

Have fun with the extra drive space!

lanr01
September 26th, 2008, 06:12 AM
well a week ago, I decided I had enough dealings with Microsoft so I searched the net for a linux release. I had never even looked at a linux machine before.. I downloaded the ISO and burnt it to a dvd and proceeded to format XP right off my machine.. FELT SO GOOD... I miss running os/2 warp v4 :)

Then I let the wife know what did after it was all done so she couldn't object to me doing it :-) Lol

earthpigg
September 26th, 2008, 06:15 AM
well a week ago, I decided I had enough dealings with Microsoft so I searched the net for a linux release. I had never even looked at a linux machine before.. I downloaded the ISO and burnt it to a dvd and proceeded to format XP right off my machine.. FELT SO GOOD... I miss running os/2 warp v4 :)

Then I let the wife know what did after it was all done so she couldn't object to me doing it :-) Lol

lol, ballsy!

the details of that continuing story need their own thread.

Ms_Angel_D
September 26th, 2008, 09:03 AM
What made me reformat and wipe the partition was the fact that the partition became corrupt and I didn't feel like dealing with trying to fix it. It's not like I had anything that I was losing on it anyway. So I just said screw it, and decided to wipe everything out and do a fresh install of Ubuntu.

Does running a partition slow down your system because I could swear this thing is running faster now.

Orange_and_Green
September 26th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Hello MetalHellsAngel,

Congratulations and welcome to Ubuntu!!

I don't think I fully understand what you mean by "running a partition", but it's normal that your computer runs much faster because linux is designed to optimise the usage of your system's resources (as opposed to windows which wastes a lot of them).

If you mean "running a program that partitions and formats your hard drive", I suppose that would slow down the system a bit as it obviously takes rescources like CPU and data bus to hard disk.

Have lots and lots of fun!!

Ms_Angel_D
September 26th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Hello Orange_and_Green and thank you!

I don't think I fully understand what you mean by "running a partition", but it's normal that your computer runs much faster because linux is designed to optimise the usage of your system's resources (as opposed to windows which wastes a lot of them).

What I mean is I had originally split my hard drive in two, one half held a Ubuntu Install, and the half had My Vista install ;).

god0fgod
September 26th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Never buy Vista again from now on then.

megabytemonster
September 27th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Does running a partition slow down your system because I could swear this thing is running faster now.

It shouldn't, purely a placebo effect :)

EdThaSlayer
September 27th, 2008, 02:46 AM
If only games didn't exist, I would be following all the way bro! :)

bigbrovar
September 27th, 2008, 03:24 AM
I did that same some 6month ago and i haven't regretted it since. Not that i hate Windows (ok i do but that is beside the point :) ) i just wasn't using the Vista Partition for anything and i needed the space.so if you dont need it why keep it.Welcome to Freedom.

Ms_Angel_D
September 27th, 2008, 05:26 AM
If only games didn't exist, I would be following all the way bro! :)

lol yeah it sucks if your a big gamer, luckily the two games I play run fine on linux (Neverwinter Nights & Neverwinter Nights 2 with cedega). But ummm check my sig I'm not a bro...lmao ;) :lolflag:

RiceMonster
September 27th, 2008, 05:40 AM
I just added a Vista Partition, because I need some Windows only software for school. I don't feel that bad about it; now I can use foobar2000 when I boot into Windows, which is nice because IMO it's the best audio player on any platform.

melojo
September 27th, 2008, 05:50 AM
So I finally wiped the vista partition off my computer, and I don't know why but the whole system feels faster, anywho I'm glad to be rid of it, I never logged into it anyway. :grin::grin:

Just excited to be free of it and so I thought I would post that I had done it ;)

Angel

If it wasn't for my wife and children MS Windows would be wiped off of mine. Well I guess I can't call it mine](*,)

patrickballeux
September 27th, 2008, 05:59 AM
I am windows free for the last 4 years I think. Everything is running Ubuntu at home and my wife and kids are happy with it.

And thinking of it, my kids don't know much about windows... They are used to Ubuntu, with the restricted access and so on...

I even installed DansGuardian + tinyproxy + firehol as a web filter to block unsuitable content for my kids, just in case they would look for "Animal farm" :)

As for gaming, there is the PS2 and the old Super NES for that. And all the flash sites for the kids, that's more than enough.

For me, Ubuntu is the same as OSX would be for a Mac user. We both made a choice.

I even order some CDs from Ubuntu site so I can give away to Windows users when they call me to help them... :guitar:

Have a nice day!

darco
September 27th, 2008, 06:07 AM
I sometimes feel "drawn" to Vista. I am not a windows basher and not a linux fanboy. I still dual boot but spend 90% of my time in Linux Mint. Vista x64 Ultimate is a fine OS. I have it tweaked big time and it runs like a champ. Games run fine even in 64 bit mode.... When I readup on Vista changes and latest and greatest apps I feel like I want to go back....but I feel comfortable w/linux.
I do have vmware 6.5 which supposedely has 3d effects and if so I would then delete my vista partiton but for now dual boot is fine.

darco

bomanizer
September 27th, 2008, 06:27 AM
I sometimes feel "drawn" to Vista. I am not a windows basher and not a linux fanboy.

That's a familiar feeling. I've been Linux/Ubuntu-only for a few years now and occasionally I think about using Windows. Then I suddenly remember the reasons that made me do the switch :) You simply can't beat stuff like dpkg/apt, for example.

Ms_Angel_D
September 27th, 2008, 08:18 AM
I just saw no point in attempting to fix Vista as I never used it besides as I stated previously the two games I do play I have running in Ubuntu. However if I do ever need it for something there are two other computers in my house one (My Hubby's) Is a Ubuntu/Vista Dual boot and my sons computer only has XP.

Vista Has not been horrible to me I never had any huge issues with it, and it ran fine, but I prefer the feeling of freedom I have with Ubuntu as well as the speed, so I choose to use it over Vista.

Angel

Dirkzen
September 27th, 2008, 08:24 AM
lol! :D this made me giggle a bit <3
Just finished having to reinstall vista for my sister earlier tonight, after some mystery error trashed it.
Just something feels really really good to hop back on my lil piece of junk pc here with ubuntu, and see it run 10x faster than her brand new laptop, bogged down by the vista monster :lolflag:

Canis familiaris
September 27th, 2008, 08:30 AM
I removed Vista and XP from my PC because they were pirated and I managed to play (original)Orange Box Games in WINE.(Actually the real reason that made the final decision is that I wanted to install PC-BSD)

4Orbs
September 27th, 2008, 08:44 AM
I'm keeping mine as triple booting XP, Ubuntu, and testing various distros. I have considered wiping XP but probably never will mainly because it's taken me seven years to tweak it to my liking and I just can't come to grips with throwing it away. Besides, XP gives me the opportunity to enjoy installing and scanning with the latest anti-virus software, and play some games that don't work in Wine. My wife seems to have taken a shine to Ubuntu, finally.