PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how do I update my video card?

zidane1341
September 26th, 2008, 04:07 AM
i found a update for my video card. it came in a .tar.gz file. i know i gotta unzip it, but i'm not sure what to do next

kspncr
September 26th, 2008, 04:17 AM
Are you sure it is what you think it is? What video card do you have?

tuxxy
September 26th, 2008, 04:24 AM
I agree its best to stick with supported software and .debs however if you want to have a try then the tar.gz file you have is likely to be source code you need to compile, before you start you may need to install build essential to compile, so enter this command first in a terminal

sudo apt-get install build-essential

Now change dir to the location of the extracted tar.gz folder, for example if on your desktop type

cd Desktop

Now configure the software

./configure

If you receive no errors from ./configure then enter

make

Finally install the software

sudo make install

zidane1341
September 26th, 2008, 05:40 AM
intel gma express or somecrap, it's integrated, but I got the drivers from http://www.intellinuxgraphics.org/

also, the defualt driver screws up all of my games. most of the easiest to run games are choppy and not responsive and and a upper right hand corner keeps flashing solid black.

also, when i tryed to follow your directions, tuxxy, when i type in "CD DESKTOP", then it says: bash: cd: desktop: No such file or directory

zidane1341
September 26th, 2008, 06:29 AM
when i tryed to follow your directions, tuxxy, when i type in "CD DESKTOP", then it says: bash: cd: desktop: No such file or directory.

also, there is a new graphic glitch. when i run a program in maxscreen, sometimes it messes up my start menu-thingy. like whatever i'm doing, it replaces the menu. even when i minimized anything. and it doesnt go away, unless i drag a window or click over it. i don't know why I have these graphical glitches. here's my PC, in case anyone was wondering:http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/5107/5107nv.shtml