PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No instalation prompts but with desktop background

Silverwolfcvm
September 26th, 2008, 03:31 AM
I am installing the desktop version of 8.04 onto a HP pavilion 533w. It has more then the required specs to run the OS. I am installing it from a CD. I know the CD works because I used it earlier today to do a successful instillation on another computer. The drive reads the CD ok and the prompt that asks what language comes up. After that I get the progress bar that completes. Now here is the problem. I will see the desktop background image with the bird on it. The mouse pointer will show and it will move around the screen, so I don’t think that the computer is locked up. But nothing else happens from there. No further windows will pop up from there to ask more instillation questions. After being left alone for a while, the screen will go dark ( into power-save mode) but will return to the desktop background with any key-press or mouse movement. I have tried to redo the instillation numerous times, but with the same results each time. I am a new user to this type of OS so please be descriptive with any responses. Thanks ahead of time for your help.

snowpine
September 26th, 2008, 03:35 AM
Hi Silverwolf, I googled your computer and saw that it comes standard with 256mb of ram. Unless you've upgraded the ram to 384mb or more, you'll need to install using the Ubuntu Alternate CD, or try a lighter weight distro such as Xubuntu.

Good luck!

Silverwolfcvm
September 26th, 2008, 03:43 AM
Thanks snowpine, the computers we use at school are ancient, so i just figured that this one had better stats. Not bad for a $5 computer, so i guess i cant complain. Thanks so much for the quick repost.

snowpine
September 26th, 2008, 03:46 AM
I love rescuing old hardware! Good luck.