PDA

View Full Version : I think I hate Crucial.com... do you?

Misterbadexample
September 26th, 2008, 02:40 AM
I had never bought RAM from crucial, but after this disaster, I never will again. My motherboard is an MSI K9VGM. You can look this up on their tool--it will give you the wrong information, too. It tells me that the maximum upgrade for this motherboard is 4GB of DDR2667 ram. When in reality, the maximum upgrade is only 2GB of DDR2 800. The machine doesn't really like having 4GB in there and Windows shuts off the sound for some odd reason. Go figure.

Anyway, the crucial RAM actually arrive DOA from newegg when I first got it, so that's strike one for crucial.

RMA went through and I got new RAM today, only to discover all this. This is what I get from trusting those a-holes. If I had bought it from crucial.com instead of newegg, I probably could have bitched about it giving me the wrong information; as it stands, I'm still going to try.

I'm willing to bet I'm just having bad luck with them, but I doubt I'm going to buy crucial again. Anyone have any horror or success stories about them?

Dr Small
September 26th, 2008, 02:42 AM
I've never bought RAM from crucial.

Therion
September 26th, 2008, 02:45 AM
I've bought tons of RAM from Crucial. I've had nothing but good experience's.

<shrug>

darco
September 26th, 2008, 02:48 AM
I've bought tons of RAM from Crucial. I've had nothing but good experience's.

<shrug>

I have always brought ram directly from Crucial...they are one of the top memory makers....nothing but good experience w/them.

darco

mike1234
September 26th, 2008, 02:52 AM
I deal with Newegg quite a bit. But they do have a lot returned merchandise for some reason. I know the program you refer to but it worked okay for my Dell server. And it has ecc ddr2 chips.

M.

Misterbadexample
September 26th, 2008, 02:56 AM
I figured that I'd get a lot of positive replies about crucial. I used to think a lot of them, just from reputation and their diagnosing tool is snazzy. But after finding out the upgrade I've been eyeing for months is inaccurate? Oooh, I'm pissed.

What's so great about their RAM?

mike1234
September 26th, 2008, 03:00 AM
I figured that I'd get a lot of positive replies about crucial. I used to think a lot of them, just from reputation and their diagnosing tool is snazzy. But after finding out the upgrade I've been eyeing for months is inaccurate? Oooh, I'm pissed.

I would contact Crucial and let them know how you feel. Might not do any good but who knows? Some companies actually do want to hear customer complaints as well as praises.

M.

Misterbadexample
September 26th, 2008, 03:04 AM
I just did. I figure, worst case scenario, they'll correct the page. It would be nice if they would make this right to me somehow, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Therion
September 26th, 2008, 03:07 AM
Can't really say their RAM is extraordinary but for me it's always proven reliable. Crucial's prices have always been good when I needed RAM and they ship quick.
That's really pretty much all I ask for.

I'm sorry your experience wasn't more positive.

starcannon
September 26th, 2008, 03:10 AM
Never dealt with them, I use Kingston ram most times, I think I bought some Crucial from newegg once, but it was in a "package deal" the buy this upgrade feature or some such, and it worked perfectly in that case.

NET WT
September 26th, 2008, 04:01 AM
I think I hate Crucial.com... do you?

Nope, I was quite satisfied with my last memory purchase, from them. I haven't had any problems so far.

cariboo
September 26th, 2008, 05:26 AM
May be you should have looked here:

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K9VGM-V

first. To quote from the page:

Supports dual channel DDR2 533/667/800, using two 240-pin DDR2 DIMMs.
• Supports the memory size up to 2GB
• Supports 1.8v DDR2 SDRAM DIMM

Jim

kernelhaxor
September 26th, 2008, 05:45 AM
May be you should have looked here:

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K9VGM-V

first. To quote from the page:

Jim

I just checked the same. MSI website clearly states 2GB as max.

Since we r talkin abt the motherboard, I would rather trust the manufacturer (MSI) than Crucial.com's tool.

Like others said, their RAM has worked fine for me too. Haven't used the tool much so cant say abt it.

jrusso2
September 26th, 2008, 06:17 AM
I bought ram from crucial for many years and never had a problem but now two things made me stop.

One I don't think they make their own ram chips anymore they are all made in china now.

Two, I can get ram a lot cheaper from other places.

oldsoundguy
September 26th, 2008, 06:25 AM
Never BOUGHT Crucial .. have had it come in on several machines and the stuff works and runs cooler than most .. but I usually buy Kingston. One thing to consider .. if you are using a 32 bit OS on a 64 bit computer all you will see is 3gb of that 4 gb. Just part of the OS (all, I am told)

Crucial = Ore-Ida potatoes (think that's the one) .. that is where the money came from to set up the company in the first place! (my sister was the guy's travel agent for years in Boise!)

have been told the guy was behind the BLUE astro turf at Boise State also, but can't verify that.

Ms_Angel_D
September 26th, 2008, 08:55 AM
I bought ram 2 gigs of ram of them for $40.00 on two separate occasions the purchase was simple and was shipped pretty fast too.

Misterbadexample
September 26th, 2008, 11:57 AM
I just checked the same. MSI website clearly states 2GB as max.

Since we r talkin abt the motherboard, I would rather trust the manufacturer (MSI) than Crucial.com's tool.

Like others said, their RAM has worked fine for me too. Haven't used the tool much so cant say abt it.

Yes, that was part of my folly. I saw 2GB as the max and Crucial was saying each DIMM was 2GB, so I thought that was what they meant. It still seems strange to me that each DIMM will recognize a 2GB stick. Seems like it should use only 1GB sticks.

This is due to my relative inexperience, but Crucial has ownership in it, too, for posting information on a bogus motherboard.