PDA

View Full Version : I need something harder!

niccholaspage
September 25th, 2008, 11:57 PM
I've been using Ubuntu for a long time and I haven't really had a challenge for a while. Is there any Linux Distro thats hard to setup and configure? NO GUI. Maybe Arch or Gentoo?

myusername
September 26th, 2008, 12:01 AM
i like arch. gentoo is downright mean and will make you cry.

go with arch

megabytemonster
September 26th, 2008, 12:02 AM
Heh, personally I like things easy these days, I remember too many times of struggling with unsupported hardware a decade ago. But try Arch Linux, you do the install manually, but it's a very well thought out distribution.

raul_
September 26th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Arch (I'm biased)

I think it's the perfect equilibrium between control of your own system, and just too much (Gentoo)

Gentoo is a good distribution though. It's well supported and documented. I just don't have the time to wait 20min to install and run a regular, non-heavy program

toupeiro
September 26th, 2008, 12:04 AM
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

Have fun! :)

niccholaspage
September 26th, 2008, 12:04 AM
I guess I can try Arch. I need to use a Virtual Machine because I don't have any CDs. I will dual boot if I like Arch.

billgoldberg
September 26th, 2008, 12:08 AM
I've been using Ubuntu for a long time and I haven't really had a challenge for a while. Is there any Linux Distro thats hard to setup and configure? NO GUI. Maybe Arch or Gentoo?

You want Linux From Scratch.

--

damn, toupeiro beat me to it.

niccholaspage
September 26th, 2008, 12:12 AM
I'll try Linux from Scratch after Arch.

kk0sse54
September 26th, 2008, 01:37 AM
Other than maybe LFS, in my opinion Slackware is without a doubt is the best way to learn about Linux and how it operates under the hood. Besides not having a package manager makes you appreciate the good ones all so much more :)

niccholaspage
September 26th, 2008, 01:38 AM
I am installing Arch in the Virtual Machine. Going fine.

steveneddy
September 26th, 2008, 01:41 AM

This was my reason for installing and using Ubuntu.

I don't have to fight it every day just to get work done.

Kinda like the TV or radio, you turn it on and just expect it to work.

niccholaspage
September 26th, 2008, 01:46 AM
Well I just Like having to setup things.And Ubuntu does not "just work" for My laptop.

niccholaspage
September 26th, 2008, 02:02 AM
Finished installing Arch. Cool Linux Distro. I am gonna install a few things on it.

cardinals_fan
September 26th, 2008, 02:05 AM
I recommend Slackware or Arch. Arch is easier, but you'll learn more from Slack. If you enjoy pain, Lunar Linux is the most excruciatingly agonizing distro I've tried.

You could also consider a BSD. NetBSD is my personal favorite, but FreeBSD is quite good as well.

niccholaspage
September 26th, 2008, 02:05 AM
I will try Arch.
EDIT:Slackware I mean.

Dr Small
September 26th, 2008, 02:39 AM
Why try Arch? There is nothing complicated about it... But it is a nice distro :)

chris4585
September 26th, 2008, 02:57 AM
Don't forget about crux linux

zmjjmz
September 26th, 2008, 03:50 AM
Why not pick an old computer out of the dump and try a floppy based Linux distro (like BasicLinux, μLinux, Hal 91, etc.).
That's how I learned a lot of my stuff.

doorknob60
September 26th, 2008, 03:54 AM
I need something harder!

That's what she said :lolflag: Sorry, I couldn't resist, big Steve Carrell fan (for those of you who don't know, he's the main actor in The Office :D)

But anyways, Gentoo, I'm probably gonna install it soon too, I've heard good things abotu it.

starcannon
September 26th, 2008, 04:22 AM

Have fun! :)

+1 if your after something to geek out on, get yourself a months supply of scooby-snacks and get ready to put your gray matter to work >:)

GL and *cackles* have fun.

Erdaron
September 26th, 2008, 06:09 AM
Perhaps, you could start with Linux kernel v1.0 (http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v1.0/), and work your way up?

jrusso2
September 26th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Well you can tell the new users cause they always want it harder. When I started they were all pretty hard to use so I was always glad when they got easier.

Circus-Killer
September 26th, 2008, 06:16 AM
i'm gonna recommend gentoo based on personal experience. i've since given up on gentoo, as one post said, rather like to use the machine than have to fight with it all the time.

anyways, if you want something challenging i still recommend gentoo. i've even considered going back to it myself. it's a great distro if you have the time/patience.