PDA

View Full Version : Need links about Linux on high school networks

Mulenmar
September 25th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Hey everybody. My school's network is...slower than molasses in Anartica, you could say.

I've been talking to the main person who maintains the network every now and then, when I was using the T1 connection to download Linux distros. I'm thinking about suggesting that the school experiment, at least on a few computers, running a version of Linux.

To convince them, I'd like some links to reports on other high schools who have successfully switched to Linux, and any cost/stability benefits they reported.

Also, I'd like a list of different applications that a high school would use, beyond the basic internet browser, MS Office replacement, etc.

How-tos on how to make logons work via network systems and how to completely lock users out of downloading new packages would be good too -- I know it must be much easier than under Windows (million breached expensive security apps and counting), I just don't know how to. :(

Would appreciate the help -- my school has 1,500 people, somebody's bound to like Linux. (Or, if you know of a high school using FreeBSD or something, I'd be happy to look into that too.) Thx! :popcorn:

Bakon Jarser
September 25th, 2008, 11:10 PM
http://www.neisd.net/imak/computerlabpage/history.html

Got that link from this thread which may interest you.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=923977

binbash
September 27th, 2008, 09:39 PM
You can suggest but without a good system admin, linux is not secure and is not easy to control.It is harder than windows without knowledge

Dr Small
September 27th, 2008, 10:01 PM
You can suggest but without a good system admin, linux is not secure and is not easy to control.It is harder than windows without knowledge
Linux is far more secure than Windows out of the box, and is far easier to control.

smartboyathome
September 27th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Linux is far more secure than Windows out of the box, and is far easier to control.

Not if Windows is configured properly. Most ITs configure Windows so that student accounts are not admins (only normal users), and disabling permission to run executables just makes it even more secure.

Frak
September 27th, 2008, 10:05 PM
State of Oklahoma tells you what your servers can run based on the IT admin's qualifications. If you have A+ and MicroCert, you can run 2003-2008. If you have A+ Linux and Unix, you can run Linux/BSD/Unix. If you have A+ OS X and (have to have it) A+ Unix, you can run Mac OS X Server.

You see why we mostly run Windows 2003, since ALL the IT admin's have to have these certain qualifications based on the installation date, and only hire qualified professionals. Sticky area.

Dr Small
September 27th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Not if Windows is configured properly.

Exactly. Out of the box, Linux will beat any Windows system in the field of security. Windows can be configured to be secure, no doubt, but there is less configuration required on Linux systems versus Windows systems because Linux comes with all it's security.

y@w
September 27th, 2008, 10:12 PM

Agreed, it's important in situations like this that you don't make Linux sound like a silver bullet.. If the system admins at your school can't manage it and the project fails miserably it will leave a bad taste in their mouth. Then anyone involved will never consider anything based on Linux again. If you don't have someone in the administration and a system admin on your side it's a tough sale since they will be there for a while and you will be moving on in a maximum (hopefully :) ) of four years.

That being said.. I'd show off Edubuntu (http://edubuntu.com/). I haven't run a school on it, but the management tools are amazing. You also might find a local Linux User Group that would help. Finally, if you're looking for stories about a school using Linux, here's a great place to start (http://www.google.com/search?q=high+school+running+linux&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a). Good luck!

Mulenmar
September 27th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Yeah, don't want to make Linux sound perfect...certain versions almost do that on their own. 8~D

I haven't used Edubuntu yet, so I don't know anything about it. I'll correct that ASAP!

Thx for the links. I still need articles on the cost savings ($ and man-hours), however.

smartboyathome
September 27th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Exactly. Out of the box, Linux will beat any Windows system in the field of security. Windows can be configured to be secure, no doubt, but there is less configuration required on Linux systems versus Windows systems because Linux comes with all it's security.

Though if the admins are all new to Linux, no doubt it would be easier for them to go with Windows. Its more cost effective, too, to hire a lot of Windows system admins, since Linux system admins can be harder(?) to come by in the amount that school districts need.

binbash
September 27th, 2008, 11:59 PM

NO , totally wrong.

If you allow anything executable in any area of the system to "nobody", you are a dead system admin trust me :) You will get owned in max 5 mins :) I can give a lot of examples how easy or how hard it can be to deface a linux box.As i said it depends on the sys admin.

Mulenmar
September 30th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Is what this article says true, and if so, are the problems fixed in Edubuntu Hardy without providing the issues of Ubuntu Hardy?

http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-user/17276-edubuntu-7-10-released-debacle-practice-failure.html

Dr Small
September 30th, 2008, 04:52 PM
NO , totally wrong.

If you allow anything executable in any area of the system to "nobody", you are a dead system admin trust me :) You will get owned in max 5 mins :) I can give a lot of examples how easy or how hard it can be to deface a linux box.As i said it depends on the sys admin.
Try me.

Mulenmar
September 30th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Please, if you don't have links and such to back up your miniflamewar, don't troll in this thread.

That said, if you have those links, and advice as to the best distro for security and documentation on securing a system, feel free to go cyberpyro.