PDA

View Full Version : [xfce] Problems with xfce4 compositing

crimesaucer
September 25th, 2008, 08:35 PM
I have a question for xfce4 users.....

Over the last 2 years of using xfce4, I noticed that once Firefox 3 started using the Linux theme, Firefox does a weird thing with the gtk when it opens and closes.

It sometimes opens as 3 boxes, just like the "startx" does before you install a desktop environment to see if your xorg is configured correctly..... (like the 3 different size terminals and the mini clock after you run the command "startx" while in a tty console).

I also notice xfce4 has a weird "sideways" breakage with the right click menu and even on the webpages when I scroll.... (like a diagonal tearing). The menu will drop down with a diagonal mess that quickly fixes it's self and then stays fixed. When scrolling down a long web page, everything looks good and feels normal and then there is a quick breakage in the middle of the page (also diagonal). It's like a BIG version of the menu.

It's done that on i386 xubuntu, i686 Arch, and Arch x86_64. All of these with xfce4 and compositing.

It also DOESN'T do this with gnome metacity (and metacity-compositing) or compiz-fusion.

I prefer xfce4 with compositing to compiz-fusion or metacity, but the diagonal tearing thing when scrolling web-pages is a deal breaker for me. So I end up on xfce4 with compiz-fusion.

Does anybody else get these weird errors?

crimesaucer
September 25th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Even when using compiz-fusion, this is what firefox looks like when it opens to my home page:

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr169/Arch-newb/Screenshot-7-1.png

.... this is the diagonal tearing that happens on the xfce4 menu also.

crimesaucer
September 27th, 2008, 01:14 AM
..... so nobody else get's an ugly firefox when it opens with compositing on??????

Only compositing does this. (xfce4 or compiz)

jdarias
October 3rd, 2008, 03:07 AM
Yea i've noticed this too. When i wanna rest from it, i turn off composition.
I'm currently looking to change xfwm for metacity to see if this soves it, and also to get gimp 2.6

crimesaucer
October 3rd, 2008, 05:46 AM
Yea i've noticed this too. When i wanna rest from it, i turn off composition.
I'm currently looking to change xfwm for metacity to see if this soves it, and also to get gimp 2.6

I slightly fixed this.... what I did was I logged into my xfwm4 window manager and turned the xfce4 compositing off while using compiz-fusion compositing.