PDA

View Full Version : just got a new laptop

karellen
September 25th, 2008, 08:49 AM
it's a Toshiba Satellite A305
http://explore.toshiba.com/laptops/satellite/A300
- an intel core 2 duo 1.83 GHz, with 200 gb hard disk, 2 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 3470 and an Intel Pro 3945ABG wireless adapter. it costs around $800 (it's cheaper in the US but that's not the case here where I live) and I was curious to see others' opinion about the purchase (especially those who posses Toshiba notebooks). as far as I know, it should be supported by any major Linux distro without any hardware hiccups, probably I'll install Mandriva 2008.1 on it (dual boot with Vista), at least until Intrepid Ibex is released :D. thoughts, advices? :) thanks in advance

wolterh
September 25th, 2008, 08:52 AM
I recommend you to go with ubuntu from once. Its easier. Simpler. I would remove the virus as well. Mandriva is just horrible compared to ubuntu--or should I say gnome?

karellen
September 25th, 2008, 09:01 AM
I recommend you to go with ubuntu from once. Its easier. Simpler. I would remove the virus as well. Mandriva is just horrible compared to ubuntu--or should I say gnome?

:D well, on my desktop I have a very positive experience with Mandriva. plus, being a convinced KDE user, I'd rather go with Mandriva's implementation than Kubuntu's

Bios Element
September 25th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Well these 'are' the ubuntu forums. And I'll also say, Go with Ubuntu! That said, I'm highly biased...But it doesn't matter! Go with ubuntu anyway! >.>

LaRoza
September 25th, 2008, 09:10 AM
- an intel core 2 duo 1.83 MHz, with 200 gb hard disk, 2 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 3470 and an Intel Pro 3945ABG wireless adapter. it costs around $800 (it's cheaper in the US but that's not the case here where I live) and I was curious to see others' opinion about the purchase (especially those who posses Toshiba notebooks). as far as I know, it should be supported by any major Linux distro without any hardware hiccups, probably I'll install Mandriva 2008.1 on it (dual boot with Vista), at least until Intrepid Ibex is released :D. thoughts, advices? :) thanks in advance

Congratulations on your new laptop. I don't have personal experience with Toshiba's, but it looks like it will work well.

ratmandall
September 25th, 2008, 09:23 AM
- an intel core 2 duo 1.83 MHz,

I'm guessing you meant Ghz

karellen
September 25th, 2008, 10:02 AM
I'm guessing you meant Ghz

of course :D

karellen
September 25th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Congratulations on your new laptop. I don't have personal experience with Toshiba's, but it looks like it will work well.

thanks, all I want is to be reliable and Linux friendly :)

ukripper
September 25th, 2008, 12:06 PM
- an intel core 2 duo 1.83 GHz, with 200 gb hard disk, 2 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 3470 and an Intel Pro 3945ABG wireless adapter. it costs around $800 (it's cheaper in the US but that's not the case here where I live) and I was curious to see others' opinion about the purchase (especially those who posses Toshiba notebooks). as far as I know, it should be supported by any major Linux distro without any hardware hiccups, probably I'll install Mandriva 2008.1 on it (dual boot with Vista), at least until Intrepid Ibex is released :D. thoughts, advices? :) thanks in advance

Good one mate! i got the same wireless card working out of the box in hardy using iwl3945 module!

WWSmith36
September 25th, 2008, 12:11 PM
You definately want to go with Ubuntu or Kubuntu if you are really hooked on kde.

1) Debian base systems are better than Red Hat based systems
2) There 100 times more support for Ubuntu

If you have a problem......No one will listen.

Think about it.......

ukripper
September 25th, 2008, 12:20 PM
For KDE environment,in my opinion the best option is OpenSUSE but won't say kubuntu is as good as other top kde based distros.

ubuntu surely rules the roost with gnome!

mips
September 25th, 2008, 12:21 PM
You definately want to go with Ubuntu or Kubuntu if you are really hooked on kde.

Think about it.......

I would not use Kubuntu if I liked KDE. Kubuntu is one of the crappiest KDE implementations out there. If one likes kde then the best kde out there would have to be kdemod.

karellen
September 25th, 2008, 12:43 PM
For KDE environment,in my opinion the best option is OpenSUSE but won't say kubuntu is as good as other top kde based distros.

ubuntu surely rules the roost with gnome!

OpenSuse it's a good choice, even if I find it somehow slower than Mandriva (especially because of Yast, compared with Drak)

ukripper
September 25th, 2008, 12:50 PM
OpenSuse it's a good choice, even if I find it somehow slower than Mandriva (especially because of Yast, compared with Drak)

package management is better in OSUSE 11 compared to Mandriva for me, just from my personal experience.

pelle.k
September 25th, 2008, 01:49 PM
I've seen karellen lurk around in the "Other OS talk" subforums for ages now. I'm sure he knows what to install, and whats best for him :)

Think about it.......
That's a load of bull. (And for your information, i primarily use ubuntu, and always have).

I recommend you to go with ubuntu from once. Its easier. Simpler. I would remove the virus as well. Mandriva is just horrible compared to ubuntu
What virus?
And last of all, about mandriva beeing horrible, that is your oppinion, and not something commonly agreed upon.

I-75
September 25th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Congratulations! Before you go and do a dual boot install. Run the LIVE CD first and make sure everything works ...then do the install. Personally I would go with Ubuntu or Linux Mint. Let us know how it all works out.

karellen
September 25th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Congratulations! Before you go and do a dual boot install. Run the LIVE CD first and make sure everything works ...then do the install. Personally I would go with Ubuntu or Linux Mint. Let us know how it all works out.

thanks for the patience and good suggestions. I'll run Hardy and Mandriva's Live CDs tomorrow morning :). I'm pretty sure there'll be no problems whatsoever
now, movie time :)