PDA

View Full Version : Are you the typical geek?

wolfen69
September 25th, 2008, 04:52 AM
you know, the one Hollywood portrays? band aid between the glasses, pocket protector nerd. or are you somewhere in between? or are you so cool it hurts? what kind of computer person are you?

perlluver
September 25th, 2008, 04:55 AM
you know, the one Hollywood portrays? band aid between the glasses, pocket protector nerd. or are you somewhere in between? or are you so cool it hurts? what kind of computer person are you?

I guess I would be an over active Linux user, not a nerd, but a computer geek.

OutOfReach
September 25th, 2008, 05:11 AM
Not really, actually not at all. I DO wear glasses occasionally because of my poor eyesight in my left eye. I don't dress up as a nerd at all, quite the contrary actually. Some people are really surprised when I tell them that I am a computer geek, because I look so average like everyone else.

MaxIBoy
September 25th, 2008, 05:14 AM
I have 20/15 vision-- I can see at 20 feet what most people can see at 15 feet. So no glasses.

I don't consider myself a nerd, but I do consider myself a geek. And if you've ever met me, you will remember how awe-struck you were at my attractiveness. Really.

wolfen69
September 25th, 2008, 05:19 AM
this is all in good fun, nothing serious.

MaxIBoy
September 25th, 2008, 05:20 AM
Oh, then I suppose I've posted in the wrong thread. Do you want me to nuke my post?

wolfen69
September 25th, 2008, 05:20 AM
I have 20/15 vision-- I can see at 20 feet what most people can see at 15 feet. So no glasses.

I don't consider myself a nerd, but I do consider myself a geek. And if you've ever met me, you will remember how awe-struck you were at my attractiveness. Really.

heady post. i wish i could meet you.

MaxIBoy
September 25th, 2008, 05:21 AM
Well, the next best thing is for you to send me all your money. Of all the dudes I know, I am the most worthy cause.

wolfen69
September 25th, 2008, 05:37 AM
my check is on the way.:rolleyes:

wolfen69
September 25th, 2008, 05:39 AM
Well, the next best thing is for you to send me all your money. Of all the dudes I know, I am the most worthy cause.

i bet you drink.

MaxIBoy
September 25th, 2008, 05:40 AM
Not too much, really. I just have this constant urge to upgrade my computer. Or buy a whole new one. I'm currently wishing I had a Damn Small Machine. (http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/store/Mini_ITX_Systems/Damn_Small_Machine)

Also because the more money I have, the less I have to work, the more time I have for doing things that benefit all of humankind.

wolfen69
September 25th, 2008, 06:13 AM
I just have this constant urge to upgrade my computer.

that's why your computer breaks. learn what it can do, and enjoy it.

Irihapeti
September 25th, 2008, 06:15 AM
I can't possibly be a typical geek: I'm too old. :)

worx101
September 25th, 2008, 06:31 AM
used to be... wife straightened me out tho :P

lisati
September 25th, 2008, 06:39 AM
I don't consider myself to be the typical "Hollywood" geek. Like OutOfReach, I find glasses useful - mainly from slowly deteriorating eyesight (thankfully not fast enough to warrant a new set of glasses in nearly 10 years). Like Irihapeti, I could be too old too.....50 in a couple of years, bad teeth, assorted other minor ailments, short hair (about a number 2).... but as long as these forums are around, and I can still use a computer, no major complaints!
I've heard hints that some of my in-laws' extended family consider me a geek, but I think that's mostly because I can read the (adjectives deleted) manual when required, combined with assorted technological bits and pieces around the house and spending a lot of time on the computer.

MaxIBoy
September 25th, 2008, 06:48 AM
that's why your computer breaks. learn what it can do, and enjoy it.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the best way to learn is by breaking things and then fixing them.

And that graphics card corruption turned out to be due to my dad's constant use of that damn printer and the ensuing hard-resets.

EnGorDiaz
September 25th, 2008, 07:33 AM
IM A METALHEA ****ING METAL!!!!!:guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar:

earthpigg
September 25th, 2008, 07:37 AM

im only a "computer person" because i got into computers when i was a kid, and have never owned a car (move to a different country every year... not practical).

im sure when im a normal guy again and get my 1st car, ill be playing around with its innards until i break it.

i got into linux because windows is like owning a car with the hood permanently bolted shut. oh, and it only goes 20,000 miles then you have to upgrade.

edit: actually, i plan to get a motorcycle for my 1st vehicle. so, ill probably break myself and the bike at the same time trying to go 70 around a turn. ;)

ankursethi
September 25th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Most people I've met, including my own immediate family, think I'm weird. Most of them also think I have "potential", although I have no idea what that means and so far I've failed to live up to it. Oh, and there's just one girl in my contact list.

I guess I'll just sit in the corner, then ;)

karellen
September 25th, 2008, 08:15 AM
:D well I consider myself a tech savvy person, but not a geek. I like to keep myself informed as much as possible about technology and computers, but I don't "live" in face of a monitor. I guess I'm just the average curious person who wants to know :). I hate ignorance

YoungQuiz
September 25th, 2008, 08:21 AM
i dont know...my friends and girlfriend all say im a nerd...because i

1.use linux
2.am a computer tech.(repair computers and networks)
3.go to an technical school

but seeing me you wouldnt believe any of it....im the urban african american dude...play sports..video games gots all the chicks in school... you know...popular and all that lol

so ion know. i like what i like i guess:guitar:

Ripfox
September 25th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Well, I've fronted a band to an audience of up to 3500 people and have opened up for Asleep At The Wheel...and use linux and frequent these forums alot so, probably not. Or maybe I am?

NovaAesa
September 25th, 2008, 11:05 AM
You wouldn't know I am a nerd by looking at me. But chat to me for a few minutes and you will be sure to find out.

lisati
September 25th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Most people I've met, including my own immediate family, think I'm weird. Most of them also think I have "potential", although I have no idea what that means and so far I've failed to live up to it. Oh, and there's just one girl in my contact list.

I guess I'll just sit in the corner, then ;)

Perhaps your family credits you with abilities that you don't recognize in yourself. I've been similarly accused of having "potential".

markp1989
September 25th, 2008, 11:23 AM
nothing like the typical geek, no glases, trousers actualy fit, no pocket protector.

i agree with what NovaAesa said, speak to me for more then a minute and you will know im geeky

Dragonbite
September 25th, 2008, 01:47 PM

Man, I'm jealous. I have (had) 20/425 so what normal eyesight saw at 425 was the clarity I saw at 20. I say this in past tense because I've gone through Ortho-K and now both eyes improved some but one has improved enough that in some circumstances I can see roadsigns clear enough to drive!

My wife calls me a geek, but in a good way. I'd rather be a geek than a nerd (I think a nerd is a socially-inept geek).

billgoldberg
September 25th, 2008, 02:18 PM

I'm a computer geek, sure. A nerd however I'm not.

A computer geek meaning, some who like computers a lot and spend a lot of time on them.

I work out, go to clubs, parties like any normal lad.

I can handly myself in a fight. Never got picked on in school, it was more the other way around.

I don't wear glasses.

I'm not the biggest lady man, but I get my fair share.

billgoldberg
September 25th, 2008, 02:21 PM
nothing like the typical geek, no glases, trousers actualy fit, no pocket protector.

i agree with what NovaAesa said, speak to me for more then a minute and you will know im geeky

I keep the geek talk for this and other forums.

Not one of my mates cares the first thing about computers and I don't want to bore them with that kind of talk.

littletinman
September 25th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Dude, hahaha, i'm no nerd. Far from it. I dress casual rock star, all ym shirts have musical instruments on them, i play in a band, do session work, work for a lawn company, go to church, and do everything on the computer. I guess i'm a groovy geek. Most people don't know i'm super into computers unless the subject comes up, then i'm in letting them now about free open source software, Linux and ubuntu, and what computers are best for them.

elmer_42
September 25th, 2008, 02:38 PM
I'm a computer geek, sure. A nerd however I'm not.

A computer geek meaning, some who like computers a lot and spend a lot of time on them.
Funny enough, this is almost exactly how I was going to respond to this topic.

lukjad
September 25th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Glasses: Check
Thick: Check
Not caring about style: Sometimes
Social recluse: No
Likes computer: Check
Uses Linux: Check
Tells people about Linux: Check
Gives out some free CDs to interested People: Check

Comments:
I like computers and don't really care about "style" since most of it looks stupid. I like to talk to people about things I like but since I like computers that is what I talk about a lot. I also read a lot, do not own a TV, I am told that I am polite, and sometimes funny. My opinion is that I am a geek, not a nerd. But I'll leave that up to you. Geek or nerd?

MaxIBoy
September 25th, 2008, 06:12 PM
I have never sacrificed comfort in my clothes. I don't wear jeans or shoes unless I'm getting dressed up for a wedding. :) Most of the time I just wear sandals with sweatpants or shorts.

lukjad
September 25th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Dude! Highfive!

Lord Xeb
September 25th, 2008, 06:17 PM
I do not wear glasses nor do I have pocket protectors. I am something in between hollywood and the stereotypical nerd. I like referring to myself as a unique person for there are almost no one like me.

Gutt
September 25th, 2008, 06:18 PM
I'm a Computer geek like billgoldber, not computer nerd :-D .
I like computers, do spend a lot of time trying to learn things, but I have a... life (is that right ?).

semitone36
September 25th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Am I still a nerd if I'm dating a model?

S0VERE1GN
September 25th, 2008, 06:23 PM
I hit the gym 6 days a week man!

and come home and work on my hardy server in seclusion:confused:

hessiess
September 25th, 2008, 06:28 PM
nope dont were glasses, or anything unesoserry for that matter. howeaver i take my Arch laptop pritymich everywere I go. Im a Linux finatic.

wolfen69
September 25th, 2008, 06:36 PM
My opinion is that I am a geek, not a nerd. But I'll leave that up to you. Geek or nerd?

nerd! :lolflag:

wladicus
September 25th, 2008, 06:52 PM
I do not think so.

Salpiche
September 25th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Yeah? no! maybe? nah! well at least my wife seems to think that I do not fit the visual profile of a nerd or geek... hold she is a nerd so i guess I am a geek? hmmm work on computer own 7 computers, my friends are always calling me to fix their computers ... nah I am not! :)

markp1989
September 25th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Am I still a nerd if I'm dating a model?

yer just a lucky one

lukjad
September 25th, 2008, 11:05 PM
nerd! :lolflag:
Well, this "nerd" is gonna come over there and smash yer car, trash yer livin' room and steal yer HD. ;)

myusername
September 25th, 2008, 11:11 PM
im actually not. im one of the most popular guys at my school

lukjad
September 25th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Popularity ain't got nothin' t' do with it.

lisati
September 25th, 2008, 11:19 PM
im actually not. im one of the most popular guys at my school

:popcorn:

spupy
September 25th, 2008, 11:51 PM
I don't like the word "nerd". "Nerd" is something like bad geek, while "geek" is good geek.
People look strange at me on the street, I don't look like the typical geek (like those two in "The IT Crowd"), but you can definitely say that I'm not normal.
I take pride in my geekness (geekery?) and try not to force it on my non-geek fellows. I generally don't like being around other geeks, especially nerds, because that will nerd-ify me. You can say I'm the geek of the bunch. :)

myusername
September 25th, 2008, 11:58 PM

i never said it did

Chame_Wizard
September 26th, 2008, 12:01 AM
i hate stereotypical things and is proud to be an allround geek:popcorn:

wladicus
September 26th, 2008, 12:01 AM
The name 'Geek', like so many 'fanciful' names or monikers, tend to create an illusion (leading to delusion) that it means something beyond the normal. In reality a person is always more than just a name, or an image in someone's mind. The reality can often 'blow your mind'. So there are no real geeks, only 'wanna be something or somebody elses'.

Sinkingships7
September 26th, 2008, 12:43 AM
I'd consider myself a nerd/geek, or whatever. Only with computers, though.

However, not a single person takes me for a nerd on first sight. For the most part, it would seem that most people (boys and girls alike) find me quite attractive.

boobuntu
September 26th, 2008, 01:20 AM
I'm so cool it hurts.

Actually I don't think I fit the typical geek mold. I'm not fashionable by any means but I think I can get by with disguising the fact that I'm a hardcore geek!

Once I open my mouth though it's all downhill...

Dr Small
September 26th, 2008, 02:24 AM
Geek Hierarchy:
[1] Geek
[2] Nerd
[3] User
[4] n00b

I would be insulted if someone called me a nerd.

wladicus
September 26th, 2008, 02:32 AM
Definition from Funk and Wagnall's COLLEGE DICTIONARY:
geek n.Slang A carnival performer who publicly eats or swallows live animals as a sensational and horrifying spectacle.
This is definitely not me. Do some of you actually pride yourselves in being associated with such displays of exhibitionism and pomposity?
You have so much energy and brilliance to give to the world, why waste it on nonsense?

dagoth_pie
September 26th, 2008, 02:48 AM
I have long hair(and yes I'm a guy, you need long hair to headbang), spend most of my time either sleeping or, doing something on my computer,(I love casual work) every so often, maybe once a week. leaving the house to socialize. I can run 4km, non stop, I know, I'm so proud... I don't recall publically swallowing animals lately though, so I guess I'm not a geek, and it's been years since I let anyone call me a nerd without holding a sharp object to their throat... so I guess you can call me a cookie monster...

wladicus
September 26th, 2008, 02:57 AM
Good answer for a cookie monster!