PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] programming in c

mihid
September 25th, 2008, 04:39 AM
so I just switched over to ubuntu from windows and I am trying to create a basic hello world program, I installed the build-essential thing and I can get my program written in the text editor to compile without any errors however when I try to run it I think I'm missing the run window lol :(.

#include <stdio.h>
int main(void)
{
printf("Hello world!\n");
return(0);
}

I'm using

gcc program.c -o program
In terminal to attempt to run it but I seem to be missing where the output is :(.
any help would be great thanks :)

iaculallad
September 25th, 2008, 04:43 AM
Try:

Source file: program.c

Compile the code:

cc -c program.c

Doing that will produce the object file of your source file. To create an executable:

cc -o program program.c

To execute it:

./program

wolterh
September 25th, 2008, 04:44 AM
Well.. in ubuntu programs do not run in console by default, so you have to start a terminal and run it from there. But easy there tiger, you have to 'cd' into the directory where the binary is, and then type:
./application
Where application is to be replaced with the name of your executable (I think in your case is program)

TriSwords
September 25th, 2008, 04:47 AM
You need ./program to run it.

ByteJuggler
September 25th, 2008, 05:00 AM
Just as some added illumination: The reason for needing "./blah" to run a program called "blah" in the current directory, is because the current folder is not on the search path by default. This is a security precaution, to help prevent spoof programs put in system writable locations (e.g. /tmp) that might otherwise accidentally get run instead of normal system programs by the "root" account.

AndrewTheArt
September 25th, 2008, 05:20 AM
When I program in C, I used Geany.

sudo apt-get install geany2. Open Geany, click File -> New (With Template) -> C Source File
3. <write code>
4. File -> Save As, then save it
5. Back in the main Geany window, go to Build -> Set Includes and Arguments
6. Make sure it looks like this -

Compile: gcc %f -o %e
Build: gcc %f -o %e
Execute: "./%e"

7. You're done. Now you can click Compile, then Execute. It will launch your prog in a window.

Primefalcon
September 25th, 2008, 06:25 AM
To run a compiled program that has console output you need to open up the terminal and switch to its location using the cd command,

If you need help on using the cd command, type
man cd into your terminal.

once your in the same location as your program type

./program_name

you need to have the ./ before it.

mihid
September 25th, 2008, 05:09 PM
awesome many thanks guys :-D

superprash2003
September 25th, 2008, 05:14 PM
you could also use the turbo c (which is very popular in windows) in linux.
http://prash-babu.blogspot.com/2008/09/how-to-get-turbo-c-compliler-to-work-in.html