PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Info Required - Converting To Ubuntu

Adam87
September 25th, 2008, 01:26 AM
Hey,

I am currently taking a course learning to code VB.Net, a choice made due to the amount of job positions waiting to be filled by VB.Net developers.

Although to be honest, i hate windows. I have just removed vista and reverted back to xp, as vista was a giant leap backwards, it took 5 years coming into fruition aswell!

Anyway, i'm awaiting my Ubuntu disks, to give this a try, and i plan to convert completely to Ubuntu. Now i realise, VB.Net + Linux, never goning to work 100%, not with microsoft one one side of the fence.

What i want to know is, would there be a way, installing Ubuntu as my main OS, hopefully, not having to Dual-Boot windows XP, but to be able to, maybe using some link to a windows component, Open this via Ubuntu?

Or even by having windows on a seperate drive, but being able to open Visual Studio through Ubuntu, instead of having to restart and load up Windows.

Thanks in advance :)

frankleeee
September 25th, 2008, 01:32 AM
Hey,

I am currently taking a course learning to code VB.Net, a choice made due to the amount of job positions waiting to be filled by VB.Net developers.

Although to be honest, i hate windows. I have just removed vista and reverted back to xp, as vista was a giant leap backwards, it took 5 years coming into fruition aswell!

Anyway, i'm awaiting my Ubuntu disks, to give this a try, and i plan to convert completely to Ubuntu. Now i realise, VB.Net + Linux, never goning to work 100%, not with microsoft one one side of the fence.

What i want to know is, would there be a way, installing Ubuntu as my main OS, hopefully, not having to Dual-Boot windows XP, but to be able to, maybe using some link to a windows component, Open this via Ubuntu?

Or even by having windows on a separate drive, but being able to open Visual Studio through Ubuntu, instead of having to restart and load up Windows.

I have never dual booted with anything other than linux but here is a link, which doesn't actually provide what your looking for but might be worth checking out.
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+faq/65

cariboo
September 25th, 2008, 03:46 AM
If you are learning VB.Net, you are going to have to keep windows around, It will not work in Linux as of now. I know Moonlight is keeping pace with Silverlight, but it may be a while before it is useful. You can keep windows around two ways, either dual boot, or use virtualization if you computer supports it. If you are going to dual boot make sure you have at least 15GB of empty space on your hard drive, before installing Ubuntu. If you are the adventurous type you can let Ubuntu resize your windows partition, but you should defrag it at least twice before doing so. Also make sure you have backed up all your important data before starting.

Jim

ByteJuggler
September 25th, 2008, 03:53 AM
You have 2 options:

1) Dual boot (which you already said you'd like to avoid) or
2) Run XP under Virtual Machine. (Probably either VirtualBox or VMWare, although there are a few other options.)

Personally in your case I would strongly recommend option 2, which is also what I do -- You then have the benefit of not having to dual boot all the time, and (if you use Virtualbox as the Virtual Machine software) then you can use "Seamless" mode to integrate the windows/desktop from your Windows VM onto your Ubuntu desktop (so the Visual Studio app running in the VM will appear to be just another natively running app on your Ubuntu desktop.) Pretty slick.

Let me know if you need more pointers (but there should be many threads on this in the forums.)

shafi
September 25th, 2008, 04:13 AM
Hey,

Or even by having windows on a seperate drive, but being able to open Visual Studio through Ubuntu, instead of having to restart and load up Windows.

I also recommend to use Virutalbox to install windows under ubuntu.
have a look to the following links:
http://taufanlubis.wordpress.com/2008/03/24/virtual-box-in-ubuntu-installation/
(http://taufanlubis.wordpress.com/2008/03/24/virtual-box-in-ubuntu-installation/)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CULbqZ3IbW4&feature=related

better suggestion: try to learn some other languages Like Java , C++ for having a Job they are the powerful languages.

Adam87
September 25th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Hey, thanks for the replies everyone!

Shafi, i know they are also great for jobs, java being the most used and supported programming language available, btu VB.Net is currently in high demand for some very good jobs in my area, amazing starting points for a career.

I'm very young still, and i did plan on moving to learn c and c++ as my next option, after securing a job using vb.net, salaries are amazing. Also on my list are Python and java, c# but that basically comes with knowing VB.Net.

ByteJuggler, i'm not entirely 100% about what your saying but, does that mean i would be running Ubuntu as my main OS, have a desktop shortcut to VisualStudio, and it would open and run VisualStudio via windows when i opened it, without having to restart and change OS?

If so that would be the bets option for me, how would i go about doing that?

Also, i am using an Acer Aspire 5520, i have all the vista and xp drivers, but how would i go about finding drivers for it on linux? Would i be able to also install those drivers on the windows segment and use them whilst running Ubuntu?

I am a firm hater of windows, if it wasnt for the job oppurtunities in my area starting with a microsoft certificate, i wouldn't ever be learning vb.net!

Adam87
September 26th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Hey all,

How would i go about setting up my machine with Ubuntu as my main OS, then XP running as a virtual machine when i want to run VS 2005?

Would my drivers still work ? or are there any available?