PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Backup Suggestions

theelk801
September 25th, 2008, 01:20 AM
So I've decided to reinstall Ubuntu when Intrepid comes out and aside from my videos and music and stuff, are there other things I should back up? I'm not too keen on being without settings and stuff.

Pumalite
September 25th, 2008, 03:00 AM
It might be better to do a clean install.

theelk801
September 25th, 2008, 03:06 AM
Well what I'm doing is clearing the HD and installing it new. I just wanted to know if there are things I want to save.

Pumalite
September 25th, 2008, 03:08 AM
Just data. Movies, music, photos, etc

theelk801
September 25th, 2008, 03:09 AM
Oh, so there's no way to save apps and system settings? Damn...

cariboo
September 25th, 2008, 03:09 AM
Backup anything in your home directory that you can't do wthout. Beware that intrepid is still alpha, there are a lot of things that don't work as you expect them to. That being said, beside a couple of things during setup, i have found intrepid to be pretty stable.

Jim

cariboo
September 25th, 2008, 03:10 AM
Backup anything in your home directory that you can't do without. Beware that intrepid is still alpha, there are a lot of things that don't work as you expect them to. That being said, beside a couple of things during setup, i have found intrepid to be pretty stable.

Jim

theelk801
September 25th, 2008, 03:14 AM
I'm getting Intrepid when it officially releases. I just wanted to prepare ahead of time.

Jive Turkey
September 25th, 2008, 03:21 AM
If you have a separate /home partition that is where your user settings are located, in the /home/$uname/.files or "dot files." Whether or not these settings will be compatible with intrepid is another story. I have had the same home partition through the last couple releases. With only a few problems that I fixed by deleting the .files and reinstalling a misbehaving app or 2. Your bookmarks and email data are saved in folders like ./firefox & ./evolution. If you use any apps that take a lot of configuration you will find it worthwhle to save those folders and drop them into the new install, or just don't format your home partition when you install Intrepid.

theelk801
September 25th, 2008, 03:28 AM
Right, I saw something about that. I think I'll do that when it's time to reinstall.

It's gonna be sort of annoying though...