PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing 8.04 Server issue

sdotbailey
September 25th, 2008, 01:00 AM
Hello,

I'm working with my SysAdmin here at work to install 8.04 LTS Server Edition on a new HP Raid1 server machine. The install goes as expected and there's no issues. But, upon the finish and first reboot, the machine does not go into the UI based Ubuntu login (black screen with logo, then login fields) but it goes into a command line look...

It asks for the Username and Password for the newly created user and then...I'm lost. I don't know if there is something missing or not.

There was one interesting note when the machine was booting up and checking itself:

apache2: could not reliably determine server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.0.1 as ServerName.

There may be a word in there that's not right, but, you get the point.

Does anyone know what this may be? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Shawn

sdotbailey
September 25th, 2008, 05:07 PM
anybody?

i've searched for the apache message and have an idea about that one. but, what is keeping the system from booting up correctly? could it be the hardware? the system is from HP. it shipped with Debian but the developers that want this are requesting Ubuntu to be on there.

please help.

thanks.

sdotbailey
September 25th, 2008, 05:16 PM
oh....is the server version command line only? someone here at work just told me that. really?

alyaba
September 26th, 2008, 05:46 AM
i would love to know also