PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't run 8.04 after install

It'sSuperJeremy
September 25th, 2008, 12:52 AM
I am trying to install Ubuntu 8.04 on a new laptop and I am encountering several problems. First, I booted from the install DVD and the entire install process went smoothly. However, at the end of the installation process when I went to restart the computer, the computer just freezes on the Ubuntu splash screen. This occurs every time I turn on the computer. I tried booting into recovery mode and the computer still completely locks during boot up.

The last line during the recovery boot, where the computer locks up, is

eth0: RTL8168c/8111C at 0xffffc2000104a000, 00:21:85:48:e8:04, XID 3c4000c0 IRQ 507

I also tried booting live from the DVD and I get to the same spot, the Ubuntu splash screen, and the computer completely locks up. When I booted from the DVD initially (before the actual install) I was able to do so fine. Ubuntu loaded correctly and I was able to access all of the features on the DVD. So, what ever occurs during the install process is not only preventing me from loading Ubuntu from the hard drive, but from the DVD as well.

Here are some of the hardware specs of the computer. Let me know if anyone sees anything that may be causing a conflict.

2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB RAM (DIMM-1 = 2048, DIMM-2 = 2048)
NVIDIA GeForce 9600m GT 512 MB
200 GB Hitachia Ultra DMA HD
ATAPI Optiarc DVD-RW

Thanks!