PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] [SOLVED] USB Devices (drivers ect)

Skyker
September 25th, 2008, 12:41 AM
I don't have Xubuntu installed yet, but I figure that if I start getting the info and proper drivers from my stuff now, and save them on disc, then I won't be scrambling if I can't get my wireless network/internet connection to work right away.

I just bought a USB memory stick today, worried if it will be compatible with Linux. Its a EMTEC 4 gig.

Adesso tablet's website has the windows XP and two different Mac drivers. I hear you can get XP drivers to work on Linux; how?

Scanner, I have 'Scansoft' as a program that goes with it. Is there a Linux program from scanners that I can use. Will I need drivers for the scanner?

One other question: Does Linux have a 'My Documents' type folder?

That's all for now, thanks a lot. :)

Pro-reason
September 25th, 2008, 01:31 AM
Please try to keep it to one question per thread.

A USB flash stick will work on any operating system. They are generic mass storage devices. It's standard.

Graphics tablets and scanners tend to all be different, and adhere to no standard. You need drivers for them. I have a WACOM Graphire tablet, and the drivers were not too hard to install. You have to Google for the name of your tablet and “Linux”, and sift through the results until you find some useful information. You may find a guide to setting it up (which might conceivable involve using Windows drivers via Wine, but that is unlikely), a page which explains that the drivers are already in the Linux kernel, or a page that says that it can't be done.

Your “My Documents” folder is a directory with your username in the /home directory. So, if your username is skyker, it's /home/skyker. The shortcut for this is “~”. In the menus, it will be referred to as “Home”.

Skyker
September 25th, 2008, 01:44 AM
thanks for all the help. :) Terminal is scary o.o

werries
September 25th, 2008, 01:45 AM
My scanner works with the inclued XSane Image Scanner software. (i have an HP Photosmart C3100 All-In-One)