PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hang at 15% on Sony VAIO PCG-F280

PCHome
September 24th, 2008, 11:13 PM
I know this is an old laptop but, as Ubuntu seems to run well when booting from the DVD (though slow), I wanted to see how it fared when installed onto the hard drive before committing it to a newer system. The hard drive is fully available.

However, the full GUI installation hangs at 15% and I read through a read-only post about this same problem on other Sony VAIO systems. Has a solution had been found? I am currently trying to install in the text-mode but would prefer to use the GUI.

Specs are below - note the upgraded RAM and HD, and there is a card-slot network adapter installed that is not listed:

Model PCG-F280
BIOS PhoenixBIOS R0204K0
Pentium® II Processor 366 MHz
Cache Memory 256 KB Integrated On-Die Level 2
14.1" XGA Active Matrix LCD (1024 x 768)
NeoMagic MagicMedia™ 256AV with
2.5 MB Video RAM and 128-bit Accelerator
Direct 3D and MPEG Acceleration
Standard RAM 64 MB SDRAM, UPGRADED TO 192 MB
Hard Drive 6.4 GB, UPGRADED TO 60 GB

Pumalite
September 24th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Try Xubuntu ALternate CD:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/releases/8.04.1/release/

PCHome
September 24th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Thanks, I'll give it a try once the text-version installation completes. As I understand it, doesn't Xubuntu use the X-Windows GUI and, if so, is there an alternate version with Gnome or is Gnome part of the problem?

Pumalite
September 24th, 2008, 11:37 PM
Your memory is the problem. Hardy Ubuntu requires 384 of RAM to run.

PCHome
September 24th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Thanks, that's good to know. Odd, though, that it runs so well from the DVD. If the alternate version needs less RAM, I'll go ahead and give it a try.

PCHome
September 29th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Once the text-version install finally finished (it took hours), I was surprised to see that it rebooted to the Ubuntu GUI without problem and seemed to run well even if it was a bit slow, and all the updates installed themselves perfectly. I expected it to boot to a text-version only. I'll try Xubuntu next to see if its memory usage is such that it makes it a little faster.

Pumalite
September 29th, 2008, 11:03 PM
It will be faster