PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to GNOME 2.24... easy? hard? ill-advised?

ticopelp
September 24th, 2008, 11:10 PM
I saw that it was released today, and there are some features that look cool, but I'm just wondering if it's a bad idea to try to upgrade -- or if Ubuntu will provide an upgrade soon (I'm running Gutsy at the moment, so I'm not sure if it will ever be updated).

Sorry if this should be in someplace other than the Cafe... I'm not exactly asking for help as such, so I wasn't sure if it should have gone in one of the help threads.

jpeddicord
September 24th, 2008, 11:14 PM
I saw that it was released today, and there are some features that look cool, but I'm just wondering if it's a bad idea to try to upgrade -- or if Ubuntu will provide an upgrade soon (I'm running Gutsy at the moment, so I'm not sure if it will ever be updated).

Sorry if this should be in someplace other than the Cafe... I'm not exactly asking for help as such, so I wasn't sure if it should have gone in one of the help threads.

Running Gutsy? You're using GNOME 2.20. Hardy has 2.22. Intrepid (released next month) will have 2.24.

I highly recommend you do not install a new GNOME version, rather just upgrade your Ubuntu release.

aaaantoine
September 24th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Way too many dependency issues. Outlook not so good.

If you want Gnome 2.24, you'll want to upgrade to Ubuntu 8.10.

ticopelp
September 24th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Running Gutsy? You're using GNOME 2.20. Hardy has 2.22. Intrepid (released next month) will have 2.24.

I highly recommend you do not install a new GNOME version, rather just upgrade your Ubuntu release.

Ah, okay. Well, that certainly answers that. I didn't know how hard it would be. I can definitely wait another month for 2.24. Thanks.

bruce89
September 25th, 2008, 12:34 AM

That's not quite the case, you can use GARNOME or JHBuild to compile the whole of GNOME from source. Of course, this takes ages.

niccholaspage
September 25th, 2008, 01:01 AM
I'm using garnome right now for 2.4. I am impatient.

wolfen69
September 25th, 2008, 01:31 AM
rather just upgrade your Ubuntu release.

better yet a clean install.

i wouldn't bother upgrading gnome, just wait for ibex.

goldenbrown
September 27th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Hi
I maybe wrong but recording to web surf records gnome 3.0 already
run in some software why are linux waiting for 2.24?
Thanks

SunnyRabbiera
September 27th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Hi
Thanks

What?

binbash
September 27th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Hi
Thanks

??? Any translators online? :)

mips
September 27th, 2008, 10:03 PM
This is where a rolling release distro comes in handy :)

simo
October 4th, 2008, 09:39 AM
I'm trying to compile GNOME 2.24 almost full two days but can't pass bootstrap/firefox ... always fails on that point

billgoldberg
October 4th, 2008, 10:06 AM
I'm trying to compile GNOME 2.24 almost full two days but can't pass bootstrap/firefox ... always fails on that point

Just install the 8.10 beta if you want gnome 2.24

bartos
October 4th, 2008, 03:17 PM
I have tried o few distros that are using 2.24. it is nice but some programs are missing optiions like Session Preferences doesn't have a Current Session tab to modify priorities. I though when they would add options instead of taking them away.
Just little things like that you have to watch for.