PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can I install Ubuntu overtop of OpenSuse?

tmcarson1
September 24th, 2008, 10:54 PM
My setup, 1 hard drive with Windows XP, then installed Opensuse which put the grub loader on the drive also.

When the grub loader starts it allows me to start Opensuse or Ubuntu.

Can I install Ubuntu and replace the Opensuse? Will this kill my grub loader? Or will the grub loader recognize that the choice is now Ubuntu or Windows and not Opensuse or Windows.

Don't want to kill everything by installing ubuntu, so looking for advice if you think I can do this by just doing a normal ubuntu install?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

sneeks
September 24th, 2008, 11:10 PM
don't quote me on this but im sure grub is on a diff partition(if im wrong please tell me!! as im still learning after all this time...)
but you could resize the partition with the free space that you have and have all free,but i do know from painfull experience that this does not always work.
i know this sounds a pain,but re-installing all would be good,but when you are partitioning your drive leave some spare,so you can always add.
on the other hand you could run on a vm machine..
if you go the full route,and still want uncle bill,install him first,update and then defrag,then run your ubuntu install disc.
if you have left free space and you add another os(puppy,tinyme )when you install them you will get the option to add to grub.

tmcarson1
September 25th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Just a note that this worked perfectly, ubuntu installed and replaced the old grubb loader, so now I am presented with booting up ubuntu or windows.

Love that everything worked and didn't mess up my windows install!