PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] do i absolutely NEED windows explorer or will the ubuntu desktop work?

twitch2197
September 24th, 2008, 10:31 PM
i'm getting an mp3/video player soon and while reading the online guide, i ran across the phrase "to transfer data to your device, just drag it from windows explorer into the media player's icon." my question is do I NEED windows explorer, or will dragging it from the ubuntu desktop work?

crjackson
September 24th, 2008, 10:34 PM
i'm getting an mp3/video player soon and while reading the online guide, i ran across the phrase "to transfer data to your device, just drag it from windows explorer into the media player's icon." my question is do I NEED windows explorer, or will dragging it from the ubuntu desktop work?

Provided your player is friendly with linux, you won't have a problem. Windows explorer was just an example of a file manager. You should be able to do the same thing in Ubuntu (nautilus file manager vs. windows explorer file manager - they are very similar).

lisati
September 24th, 2008, 10:37 PM
With the exposure Windows has, it's understandable that many websites express their "howtos" in terms of Windows. All the other graphical environments I've used have had their equivalents.

twitch2197
September 24th, 2008, 10:38 PM
okay. if that doesn't work, i could install windows media player with wine and try syncing with that

billgoldberg
September 24th, 2008, 10:42 PM

Haha, no.

They just mean it will act as an usb mass storage device, and you'll need to use your file browser to copy data to it.

Any file browser will do on any platform.

They mention Windows Explorer because 90% of the world uses that.

billgoldberg
September 24th, 2008, 10:43 PM
okay. if that doesn't work, i could install windows media player with wine and try syncing with that

No.

I don't think Windows Media Player can be installed using Wine.

You could sync with lots of linux media players if you want.

Hendrixski
September 24th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Most mp3 music players can be synched through AmaroK.

Or you could do it the old fashioned way and drag and drop the files through the file browser.

Whatever you do, don't buy one of those media players that converts the files to some oddball format. I bought a sony mp3 player that required an application that converted the mp3 to some strange format, and the conversion software wouldn't work on my mac of on linux, and therefor it's a failure. So I returned it and bought another one that just played mp3's as mp3's and I'm happy.

billgoldberg
September 24th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Most mp3 music players can be synched through AmaroK.

Or you could do it the old fashioned way and drag and drop the files through the file browser.

Whatever you do, don't buy one of those media players that converts the files to some oddball format. I bought a sony mp3 player that required an application that converted the mp3 to some strange format, and the conversion software wouldn't work on my mac of on linux, and therefor it's a failure. So I returned it and bought another one that just played mp3's as mp3's and I'm happy.

I can't suggest Amarok for gnome (read ubuntu) users.

Try a gtk app like Exaile, Banshee (uses Mono!) or the standard installed Rhythmbox.

eentonig
September 24th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Personally, I'm very happy with running Kamarok under Gnome (read Ubuntu). I happen to dislike KDE a lot, but Kamarok is one of those apps, I can't find a Gtk app that is good enough for me to drop Kamarok and the additional kde libraries it uses.

twitch2197
September 25th, 2008, 02:00 AM
what about gtkpod

JimmyBEng
September 25th, 2008, 02:20 AM
I use gtkpod for my iPod classic, and it suffices for transferring music, I havn't tried much else. Amarok worked when i experimented with it, I just preferred gtkpod in the end.