PDA

View Full Version : The name Ubuntu? (outsider perspective)

woktrr
September 24th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Hello people. I’m very new to Ubuntu & Linux as a whole, but so far, I’m absolutely in love with the Ubuntu O/S. I really expected the whole process of installation & operation to me more difficult than it has been. That being said, am I alone in just completely disliking the name “Ubuntu?” I understand the whole point of it having an “African” name, but it just sounds like some kind of expensive French pastry dish. Being brand new to the O/S, my opinion is probably not the most valid, but I was just curious if anyone else felt the same way…

Ozor Mox
September 24th, 2008, 06:53 PM
There have been threads on this before and some people like it, some don't. That pretty much goes for anything really though doesn't it? That's what it's called, and it isn't going to change. I happen to really like the name and find it much more interesting than say 'Windows' or 'PCLinuxOS', plus it sums up the ideals very nicely. My suggestion is to let your good experience with it be more important than what it's called.

Also as a side note, the fact that you're new to the OS doesn't somehow mean you have a less valid opinion.

Nano Geek
September 24th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Some people here don't like it, but I think that the majority do.

billgoldberg
September 24th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Hello people. I’m very new to Ubuntu & Linux as a whole, but so far, I’m absolutely in love with the Ubuntu O/S. I really expected the whole process of installation & operation to me more difficult than it has been. That being said, am I alone in just completely disliking the name “Ubuntu?” I understand the whole point of it having an “African” name, but it just sounds like some kind of expensive French pastry dish. Being brand new to the O/S, my opinion is probably not the most valid, but I was just curious if anyone else felt the same way…

I totally agree with it being an ugly name.

I don't know why anyone would think of it as having a French ring to it. It doesn't sound French at all.

Paqman
September 24th, 2008, 07:01 PM
am I alone in just completely disliking the name “Ubuntu?”

Nope, it's a terrible name. Although it's a lot more fun to say if you use a deep booming voice. It's a bit like the way the login sound is a lot less naff if you actually do "air cymbals" to the crescendo.

Ozor Mox
September 24th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Nope, it's a terrible name. Although it's a lot more fun to say if you use a deep booming voice. It's a bit like the way the login sound is a lot less naff if you actually do "air cymbals" to the crescendo.

Hahaha wow, I'm not the only one who does that?!!

woktrr
September 24th, 2008, 07:11 PM
I don't know why anyone would think of it as having a French ring to it. It doesn't sound French at all.

I take that back. It sounds like something Sarah Palin should name one of her kids...

Technoviking
September 24th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Here is an explanation of the word Ubuntu, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_(philosophy). Also Nelson Mandela explains it on a video included on the Ubuntu LiveCD (look in the Examples folder).

I think Ubuntu is the perfect word describe the philosophy behind Ubuntu Linux and the community that has grown around it.

SunnyRabbiera
September 24th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Really ubuntu to me is a better name then "windows" or "Mac OSX"
Windows can be broken and apples can rot, but Ubuntu lasts forever :D

days_of_ruin
September 24th, 2008, 07:53 PM
I love the name, although I usually pronounce it "a bun two".

LaRoza
September 24th, 2008, 07:54 PM
It was the the name "Ubuntu" which made me use Linux. If it weren't for that funny word on the book spine on the top shelf in the computer section, I would have never bothered to look at it. I would have never seen it was on sale, and bought it because of the pictures inside (it showed a new OS, as a new computer user at the time, that was interesting to me, I had just gotten my computer, with Vista). If I didn't install it because Vista was too slow, I'd have never joined this forum (I joined from school, I didn't have the internet at the time).

In short, its name is the reason I use Linux.

SunnyRabbiera
September 24th, 2008, 07:59 PM
In comparison Ubuntu is a great name to some of the names of other OS's.
I mean XP and ME are terrible names for windows, and vista might as well be hasta la vista.

Mazza558
September 24th, 2008, 08:02 PM
What about Google? That name is equally silly sounding.

SunnyRabbiera
September 24th, 2008, 08:05 PM
What about Google? That name is equally silly sounding.

Google is a cool name though, its from googolplex and perhaps Googleplex from hitchikers guide :D

anotherdisciple
September 24th, 2008, 08:12 PM
I think it's fun to say... I say "oo boon two"... hmmm... maybe that is hard to understand... I dunno... I saw a video with Mark Shuttleworth... and that is how it sounded to me when he pronounced it.

mike1234
September 24th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Google is a cool name though, its from googolplex and perhaps Googleplex from hitchikers guide :D

I never cared much for the Ubuntu name. Mostly because you end up having to explain what it means to someone. I guess just depends on your Nationality. In some places it just doesn't sound "mainstream". As for Google, In 1997 Larry and Sergey decide that the BackRub search engine needs a new name. After some brainstorming, they go with Google -- a play on the word "googol," a mathematical term for the number represented by the numeral 1 followed by 100 zeros. The use of the term reflects their mission to organize a seemingly infinite amount of information on the web.

M.

LaRoza
September 24th, 2008, 08:16 PM

It is a typo of "googol". However, the typo makes it easier to defend (trademark) and more recognizable.

SunnyRabbiera
September 24th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Still whatever ;)

lswb
September 24th, 2008, 08:43 PM
The joke I have seen is that "ubuntu is an old zulu phrase meaning 'I can't configure debian'"

SunnyRabbiera
September 24th, 2008, 08:44 PM
The joke I have seen is that "ubuntu is an old zulu phrase meaning 'I can't configure debian'"

Well thats because debian is a little rough for the newbie, I find it easy however.

ticopelp
September 24th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Clearly we need a fork project. Ubuntu: Bland Corporate Name Edition. Nothing about the distro is changed, it just has a more buzzwordy appellation. Perhaps something with a lower-case "i" in front of it.

nothingspecial
September 24th, 2008, 08:54 PM
My kids say nyaaananananaaaaa we`ve got ubuntu, we`ve got ubuntu.

chris4585
September 24th, 2008, 08:56 PM
I love the name, and the color. I support Ubuntu 100%

LaRoza
September 24th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Well thats because debian is a little rough for the newbie, I find it easy however.

It is quite easy. It is the same as Ubuntu, to me. (I use the alt installer and do everything with vim anyway)

SunnyRabbiera
September 24th, 2008, 09:04 PM
It is quite easy. It is the same as Ubuntu, to me. (I use the alt installer and do everything with vim anyway)

well depending on what you need it for.
The debian installer has gotten better over the years though

LaRoza
September 24th, 2008, 09:07 PM
well depending on what you need it for.
The debian installer has gotten better over the years though

It is nearly the same, except for the password setting (su/sudo).

I always use hardware that will work, so I rarely have to fix anything.

SunnyRabbiera
September 24th, 2008, 09:11 PM
It is nearly the same, except for the password setting (su/sudo).

I always use hardware that will work, so I rarely have to fix anything.

the hardware bit is where i think people might find obstacles.
For me a live CD is critical, to see if hardware will work out of the box without installing the OS.

LaRoza
September 24th, 2008, 09:15 PM
the hardware bit is where i think people might find obstacles.
For me a live CD is critical, to see if hardware will work out of the box without installing the OS.

Ah. I have no such problems (by design). Everything always work out of the box.

Live CD's are not my cup of tea anymore (if I am planning to install).

Any configuring I do, is for my own preferences.

73ckn797
September 24th, 2008, 09:16 PM
I take that back. It sounds like something Sarah Palin should name one of her kids...

Ubuntu Obama would be a more natural sounding name.

SunnyRabbiera
September 24th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Ah. I have no such problems (by design). Everything always work out of the box.

Live CD's are not my cup of tea anymore (if I am planning to install).

Any configuring I do, is for my own preferences.

I install for others so not having a live is not a good idea.

LaRoza
September 24th, 2008, 09:26 PM
I install for others so not having a live is not a good idea.

That makes sense. I install for others as well, but it is usually Ubuntu with a live cd (so they can see it), and I have had the good forture to have good hardware to work on.

Mr. Picklesworth
September 24th, 2008, 09:47 PM
I never cared much for the Ubuntu name. Mostly because you end up having to explain what it means to someone.

But that's exactly the point! What "Ubuntu" means is exactly what the project is.

aaaantoine
September 24th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Clearly we need a fork project. Ubuntu: Bland Corporate Name Edition. Nothing about the distro is changed, it just has a more buzzwordy appellation. Perhaps something with a lower-case "i" in front of it.

iBuntu?

woktrr
September 24th, 2008, 10:02 PM
iBuntu?

Steve Jobs would probably sue for copyright infringement for using the letter 'i'

mike1234
September 24th, 2008, 11:10 PM
But that's exactly the point! What "Ubuntu" means is exactly what the project is.

True, it would behoove many users of this Forum to remember what Ubuntu means when making posts. ;)

M.

hessiess
September 24th, 2008, 11:16 PM
so long as it works, the name is irelevent.

karellen
September 24th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Ubuntu is not just some random name. compared to other OS names (Windows??, Mac OS X?? - yeah, sure) it actually means something - a great, deep, humanist philosophy

ticopelp
September 24th, 2008, 11:22 PM
If you rearrange the letters of Ubuntu, you get Nutbun. That's pretty catchy isn't it? "Rise" to the challenge and get on a "roll" with Nutbun 8.04, Manic Muffin...

...sorry about all this.

LaRoza
September 24th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Ubuntu is not just some random name. compared to other OS names (Windows??, Mac OS X?? - yeah, sure) it actually means something - a great, deep, humanist philosophy

DOS and NT are better. (Disk Operating System, because "Quick And Dirty Operating System didn't sound good, although that was the original name, and "Neanderthal Technology" to reflect its technological advancements)

karellen
September 24th, 2008, 11:25 PM
DOS and NT are better. (Disk Operating System, because "Quick And Dirty Operating System didn't sound good, although that was the original name, and "Neanderthal Technology" to reflect its technological advancements)

:lolflag: sure, I've never thought of those :D

woktrr
September 24th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Ok, I get the picture here. It's a completely trivial question, but I just wanted to see what others thought about it. Like I said, I totally dig the operating system & can get used to the name I guess :) I just dont like saying the actual name to people. It almost makes you sound like when you use baby talk to an infant...

I totally agree that Windows & all the stupid cat names that Apple applies to it's os are equally, if not more stupid sounding. Thanks for the insight.

its_jon
September 24th, 2008, 11:35 PM
From a UK perspective....

Ubuntu is a curious sounding name.....

Curious enough to make you want to know what it is..... so DONT change it now ! :)

I also feel it is a STRONG sounding name. feels solid. towering.
With all those 'u' and one 'n' its very upright.

About the brown theme:-

I know a lot don't like it. I have myself changed it as I happen to like deep purples and blues however when I first encountered Ubuntu I loved the brown look or should I say 'feel'
Its warm and very cosy.... puts you immediately at ease.

So... DONT change it but DO have a quicker look change option. I know its easy to change anyway.... but hey !.... thats what would have really impressed me two weeks ago. :) A theme change icon on the task bar/ panel... possibly so you can store up to 4 of your fav themes for quick one click operation.

david_lynch
September 25th, 2008, 01:17 AM
On the suse mailing lists, I saw this: "ubuntu is an african word meaning "suse is too hard for me":lolflag:

wolfen69
September 25th, 2008, 01:29 AM
if anyone doesn't want to configure anything, they should use mint or sabayon. and yes, i can configure debian. i just prefer ubuntu and it's community.

as far as the name "ubuntu", it could be called "kibubibidadata" and i would still use it.

Ozor Mox
September 25th, 2008, 02:47 PM
On the suse mailing lists, I saw this: "ubuntu is an african word meaning "suse is too hard for me":lolflag:

The Debian one makes a lot more sense, being the base of Ubuntu!

uberdonkey5
September 25th, 2008, 05:30 PM
... my opinion is probably not the most valid, but I was just curious if anyone else felt the same way…

don't know why you say that, your opinion should be as valid as any other! However I love the name, although I am corrected by my south african friends when I say it. It is pronounced with a really deep 'oooo' at the start, not like 'uh'

i.e. oooboontooo

so doesn't sound too much like a french pastry :)

also, I think the name is amazingly well chosen cos of the community principles (and also I expect it means alot to people in africa, particularly those who can't pay for windows software)

gn2
September 25th, 2008, 07:24 PM
It was the cool sounding African name that attracted me to this distro in the first place.

I love the name.

wladicus
September 25th, 2008, 08:17 PM
I'm running Kubuntu and I rather like the sound of that with the 'K' at the beginning. There are other various fancy sounding names created for other versions of Linux, such as Mandriva (I like it), Fedora (nah), Knoppix (nah). Just Linux alone sounds good. Maybe someday all the developers will pool their resources into one magnificent powerful effort and produce THE DREAM LINUX system (or whatever).
As someone has already said, the name is not that important if the user gets the results for which he/she is looking. The only time a name might start to become important is in mass marketting of a product where name appeal sometimes becomes very important. But that may be in the future for Linux. I find myself telling non-Linux users that I am using a Linux OS instead of Windows. That is enough to get their interest. If the word Kubuntu or Ubuntu ever comes up it is compared to the versions of Windows, such as Vista and XP.

Corfy
September 27th, 2008, 04:25 AM
A rose by any other name would still prick your finger if you aren't careful.

I look over the other OS names, and I see a lot of names that are just as non-descriptive.

Red Hat
Fedora
Debian
Mandrake
Mandriva
Slackware
Gentoo
Knoppix
Freespire
Xandros
Solaris
Amiga

None of these indicate to me that they are computer operating systems (without already being familiar with them, that is). After all, what's a "debian"? (that is a rhetorical question that I used to make a point... I'm not really asking, since I know from past research)

brunovecchi
September 27th, 2008, 12:13 PM
I think it's normal for the name to sound strange at first. It's not a common word, and it doesn't have an English etymology. But you'll grow to like it I'm sure.

The human theme, well that's a little harder.

fatality_uk
September 27th, 2008, 12:16 PM
I was planning to do the whole "Ubuntu is just a name" thing, but instead, im just going to say "MEH!"

mc4100
September 27th, 2008, 12:33 PM
I think the name is fine, it sort-of grows on you. The font, however, looks like something one might end up with after an hour with a brush in MS Paint.

steveneddy
September 27th, 2008, 03:01 PM
I'll have a small plate of Ubuntu, please. And don't serve it next to the windows, I prefer mine alone.

quinnten83
September 27th, 2008, 03:57 PM
if anyone doesn't want to configure anything, they should use mint or sabayon. and yes, i can configure debian. i just prefer ubuntu and it's community.

as far as the name "ubuntu", it could be called "kibubibidadata" and i would still use it.

Yeah, but try saying that 5 fast.
Also the OS will boot up faster than you can actually pronounce it's name.
I love the name Ubuntu, and personally think that westerners should stop imposing their idea that only English sounding names are cool or professional sounding.

Ms_Angel_D
September 27th, 2008, 04:59 PM
I don't mind the name though I wonder if I'm pronouncing it correctly or not I tend to go with you-bun-too but I know I heard it on a youtube video pronounced eww-bun-too .....

timjohn7
September 27th, 2008, 06:08 PM
I don't mind the name though I wonder if I'm pronouncing it correctly or not I tend to go with you-bun-too but I know I heard it on a youtube video pronounced eww-bun-too .....

The correct (Southern African) pronunciation is "oo boon too". Far more important than the pronunciation though is the philosophy. This forum, the sense of community and the willingness to help others with no concern for oneself is what Ubuntu is all about.

It is a very real approach to survival within poverty-stricken African communities.

techmarks
September 27th, 2008, 07:11 PM
I don't see any issue with the name at all.

How about "Windows", I find that one deadly boring.

What I don't like about Ubuntu is the choice of default theme and colours.

Ms_Angel_D
September 28th, 2008, 04:44 AM
The correct (Southern African) pronunciation is "oo boon too". Far more important than the pronunciation though is the philosophy. This forum, the sense of community and the willingness to help others with no concern for oneself is what Ubuntu is all about.

It is a very real approach to survival within poverty-stricken African communities.

Thanks timjohn I wondered how to pronounce it properly. I agree with you though on the importance of the philosophy :D

TheSlipstream
September 28th, 2008, 06:12 AM
Ubuntu might just be the best OS name of them all. On par with Slackware, Fedora, Arch and Solaris, but the philosophy behind Ubuntu is what sends us above and beyond.

blakamin
September 28th, 2008, 06:36 AM
I'll have a small plate of Ubuntu, please. And don't serve it next to the windows, I prefer mine alone.

I like it... and would prefer a large plate!

master5o1
September 28th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Hahaha wow, I'm not the only one who does that?!!

Air cymbals or booming voice?

cariboo
September 28th, 2008, 09:40 AM
I haven't bothered reading the whole thread, but if you don't like Ubuntu, how about Debian? Ubuntu is based on Debian unstable. Ian MurdocK named the distribution after his wife Debra and himself, hence Debian, now there is a lame name.

Jim