PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] creating a text file of the list of files in a folder

crazy3rdyear
September 24th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Hi,

I'm very new to ubuntu. I did find one post giving the idea of how to do this, but as I am not at all comfortable with using command line I'm looking for more specific help.

I have a folder called "piano scores" in my documents folder. What I want to do is generate a list of the names of the files in the folder and save it as a text file.

The post I was speaking about said to do the following

find -type f -print > filename

I tried it but I'm so unfamiliar with the terms I can't get anything to happen! Like do you do one word then enter then the next or type the lot in together?!

Please help :KS

Idefix82
September 24th, 2008, 06:38 PM
You can simply type

ls ~/Documents/piano\ scores > filename
and hit enter. Then you will have a file in your current directory called filename which will contain the content of your piano scores folder as a list.
Tip: Under Linux it's better not to use space in folder names and file names.

Titan8990
September 24th, 2008, 06:42 PM
This is fairly simple. Commands should all be done in the same line (there are exceptions but you don't need to concern yourself with then starting out).

What you will want to do is first change directories to the one you would like to list the contents of.

When you open your terminal you always start in your home directory. This is where your Documents folder is also located. So to change to your piano scores directory:

cd /Documents/piano\ scores/

Now, you notice that I used a \ in the piano scores name. This is how spaces are done in file and directory names. It is good practice to avoid spaces in file and folder names.

Now to list:

ls

This will list all the files in your current directory which should be piano scores. You had the right idea on how to append it to a file:

ls > filename.txt

The file will be placed in the same directory you are in.

Hope this helps.