PDA

View Full Version : Photo color correction

suforum
September 24th, 2008, 06:05 PM
I use GIMP to get my photos ready for posting on my blog. I attempting to perform color correction, the automatic functions such as white balance or color enhancement often are ok BUT there are times when those functions give terrible results.

I have been trying to learn the manual methods of adjusting levels, hue, saturation...etc but of course I also don't have a color corrected monitor (it's an LCD) so that is not going to be exact either.

Bottom line here, do any of you know of a service that provides good color correction? One that I could send my jpg files to and they would send back color corrected copies?

Half-Left
September 24th, 2008, 08:55 PM
GIMP allows you to load colour profiles of your monitor under, Preferences>Colour Management. It will use the ICM file for your monitor which you can get from your manufactures site.

AJB2K3
September 25th, 2008, 06:43 AM
It does take a bit of understanding to understand what goes wrong with photos but gimp can fix it.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f352/AJB2K3/gimpcorr.jpg
The left side is the oridginal photo and right is the corrected version.
The lighting was bad that day and left the photos with bad contrast.
To fix I went image>colours>brightness/contrast and increesed the contrast to fix it.

Half-Left
September 26th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Well Levels or Curves is what you can use to make photos look much better, not just brightness and contrast.

timcredible
September 26th, 2008, 07:06 PM
if you don't like the results from the auto correction that gimp does, try digikam, it's very good and easier to use than gimp. you'll want to install kipi-plugins also, if you try digikam. digikam will use a color profile also.

johdue
September 28th, 2008, 07:03 AM
Use photo shop or search here on this forum. you will get more attractive list.

Crafty Kisses
September 30th, 2008, 10:20 PM
That looks really good. :D

civetta
October 5th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Got a fancy camera? Try working in RAW, then use the gimp-ufraw plugin to do your white balance, saturation, and curve corrections. Then use the gimp curves, levels, saturation for fine tuning. Much better than working with jpegs if you have that option.

I also use a crappy lcd screen, but I did profile it once, and I find with a little knowledge of how printed results differ, I can get pretty nice colours. Not an exact science by far. I dual boot. I brought my laptop in to a professional lab, and they profiled my monitor for me for a small charge. Then I copied the profiles over to my Ubuntu partition and use them with the gimp.

AJB2K3
October 5th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Got a fancy camera? Try working in RAW, then use the gimp-ufraw plugin to do your white balance, saturation, and curve corrections. Then use the gimp curves, levels, saturation for fine tuning. Much better than working with jpegs if you have that option.

Always do as there is far more detail but just realised my setting are all out on the camera.