PDA

View Full Version : Want an audio player that supports Linux?

Vadi
September 24th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Want an audio / video player that supports Linux? And by support, I mean Linux support is actually advertised and supported by the company, not the device just magically somehow working?

Well, look no further, and check out the MP3 and the PMP category at http://www.cowonglobal.com/. Interestingly enough, every single player is cross-platform. They also certainly don't seem to be lacking in features.

So if you want to support Linux (and have a working player), vote with your wallet ;)

http://www.ubuntu-pics.de/bild/3611/screenshot_05_Od1gEw.png

http://www.ubuntu-pics.de/bild/3610/screenshot_06_FgnjML.png

billgoldberg
September 24th, 2008, 07:03 PM
I only buy mp3 players that behave like a mass storage device.

And most of them act that way.

Anything that needs software to work is a no-go.

Vadi
September 24th, 2008, 07:10 PM
So that is sub-optimal support as it is :)

m0ntels
September 24th, 2008, 07:32 PM
I got the gf a Cowon D2. Works and sounds great, has expandable memory. No software needed for anything we use it for.

Polygon
September 24th, 2008, 08:26 PM
they dont really support linux. All they do is make their players act as mass storage devices so it can by any operating system that supports usb and read/write for fat32

their 'jetshell' software for syncing music is only windows

the UI for the cowon is terrible

and my joystick randomly just broke for my cowon iaudio x5l and now i have to send it it and pay most likely huge amounts of money to get it repaired, while my brothers first generation ipod still works perfectly, ive only had my cowon for one year.

there is still no music player that supports ogg, works as a storage device and has a decent UI. You can only have one or the other.

Vadi
September 24th, 2008, 11:09 PM
Hm, cowon devices do claim to support OGG.

Polygon
September 25th, 2008, 02:38 AM
they do support ogg

the point i was trying to make is:

cowon: supports ogg and flac, terrible UI, shoddy built player

ipod: great UI, quality manufacturing, good support, does not play ogg.

it seem that there is no player that plays ogg and has a good UI/player build quality.

davidw89
September 25th, 2008, 02:43 AM
I use Cowon iAudio 7 and it's great. Tried OGG the other night, working great. Beats Apple hands down.

Dno't dismiss Cowon because people sa it has crap user interface. Not true. Checkk out the latest product soon to be released..it's gonna have AMOLED + touchscreen and a heck of a better UI..

YOu can see it for yourself h ere:
http://www.cowonglobal.com/

and these are USB mass storage so not locked to anything but it also does have a mode for those who want to sync it with a media player.

Vadi
September 25th, 2008, 03:01 AM
I can't comment on the UI, it looks quite great for me (and I don't yet own a cowon). Especially if it won design awards :)

Polygon
September 25th, 2008, 03:31 AM
im seeingthe player itself, not the actual gui...gotta link?

macogw
September 25th, 2008, 03:33 AM
I love my iAudio 7 too. The interface isn't bad. It takes a bit to realize that hey if you hold the button down, it's a shortcut key, neat! But um, that's about it.

And all music on it is Ogg Vorbis.

zmjjmz
September 25th, 2008, 03:34 AM
Although mine got stolen earlier this week, a 1st gen iPod Nano with Rockbox > that Cowon thing.

davidw89
September 25th, 2008, 07:21 AM
It's not out yet but it's going to compete directly with the UI of the Ipod touch/Iphone...probably a lot unique (like the swingtouch)

OffHand
September 25th, 2008, 07:24 AM
And cowon's have superb audio quality

OffHand
September 25th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Although mine got stolen earlier this week, a 1st gen iPod Nano with Rockbox > that Cowon thing.

Did you ever own a Cowon yourself?

YoungQuiz
September 25th, 2008, 08:01 AM
i have an Archos 695 wifi 160 gb

works just fine....except having to buy add on codecs and what not...

the its touch screen and UI is great!

i saw cowan at CES convention last year they have some nice products comming soon

but soo does ARCHOS:)

Chilli Bob
September 25th, 2008, 08:41 AM
it seem that there is no player that plays ogg and has a good UI/player build quality.

Check out iRiver. Nice little units.

helliewm
September 25th, 2008, 08:48 AM
I love my Cowon works beautifully with Ubuntu. We should support Cowon for their commitment to Linux.

Helen

Polygon
September 25th, 2008, 08:58 AM
rockbox is even worse.... it totally owned the battery life of my ipod mini first gen when i used it on that, and while you could theme it, the theme is really only applied to the 'now playing' screen, the menu and music selection screens looked UGLY and were really hard to use.

Luke has no name
September 25th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Sandisk advertises Linux "support". I have a Sandisk Sansa Fuze 8GB. It's not bad, but I can't manage playlists or anything like that in Linux (like you can in Windows.) I think you can use it as a mass storage plugin, but I use Exaile to add music with little trouble. Slow transfer speed, but that could just be me.

BTW, my friend has rockbox on his older model sansa, and never uses the default UI anymore. He says the equalizer is better, more codecs (including flac and ogg), and many features not enabled by default.