PDA

View Full Version : Weirdest people you've got to adopt Linux

patricknsmith
September 24th, 2008, 02:01 PM
I set a computer up for my 80 year old grandma to use, I use Ubuntu and I figured since she had problems using windows, when she tried to learn how to use a computer, I'd install Ubuntu on it. She knows how to do everything she wants now, after only a week (email, browsing, word processing, the usual) bearing in mind she failed to really do anything using Windows.

Even better is that my Uncle was so impressed by Ubuntu he wants it installing on his computer too.

Why do people choose to pay upwards of £90 for Windows, just to do simple tasks like the ones mentioned earlier? And who are the weirdest people you've got to adopt Linux?

boobuntu
September 24th, 2008, 02:06 PM
I would say myself. I've tried linux on and off for years but never got much past the installation process. Now I'm running Ubuntu almost full time!

Vadi
September 24th, 2008, 02:30 PM
I wouldn't call them 'weird'. I would call them 'normal', because they're the majority.

I know this guy (http://forums.achaea.com/index.php?act=findpost&hl=&pid=1017590) (most acceptable pics I found find) is on Ubuntu now, along with this person (http://www.jackiesjungle.com/2008/09/22/my-ubuntu-screenshot) I suppose.

xpod
September 24th, 2008, 02:37 PM
I`ve tended not to try getting other people to "adopt" Linux this last couple of years using it but one notable exception was a 50+ Yr old friend of ours.She got really fed up with her "Vista Capable" laptop after a year or so with it and eventually asked about trying Ubuntu.
This was a only few months ago now and because we`d moved house and not seen the old gal for some time i was actually quite worried about it.

Eventually caught up with her last week though and not only was she "over the moon" with her great new laptop(her words) she`d only managed to go and install it for her older sister too:???
Of course,both had been using PC`s for some years before trying Linux whereas i myself had only 4 short months using(?) computers before stumbling across Ubuntu & Co and while that might not make me the "weirdest adopter" it certainly makes me one of the luckiest i reckon.

chucky chuckaluck
September 24th, 2008, 02:41 PM
nevermind. not weird.

pelle.k
September 24th, 2008, 02:43 PM
along with this person I suppose.
Hey! She's a fox! :D
We need more people like that!

ukripper
September 24th, 2008, 02:48 PM
And who are the weirdest people you've got to adopt Linux?

My friends! They were hard to convince but all sorted...:biggrin: