PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is ubuntu installation impossible from hard disk iso ?

enthusiastic.sady
September 24th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Asking this questions to experts since many days.
Some says to buy CD-Drives, and bootable pendrives. Can't anyone just straightly answer my question that its not possible from hard disk ? ](*,)

enthusiastic.sady
September 24th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Asking this questions to experts since many days.
Some says to buy CD-Drives, and bootable pendrives. Can't anyone just straightly answer my question that its not possible from hard disk in a system with 128mb RAM? ](*,)

Dougie187
September 24th, 2008, 01:19 PM
It is not possible to install ubuntu on a hard drive when you are reading the iso from the hard drive that you want to install it. You could do either of the two options that you mention though, making a bootable pen drive, or buying a cd drive and burning a copy of your iso.

enthusiastic.sady
September 24th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Thanks !

Sef
September 24th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Can't anyone just straightly answer my question that its not possible from hard disk in a system with 128mb

I would update the ram to 512 or use a lightweight distro likePuppy Linux, Damn Small Linux, or Deli Linux,

tarps87
September 24th, 2008, 01:22 PM
You can do a wubi install from windows if you have windows installed. If you want to do it with no os this is not possible.
If you want to use the whole hard drive for the install this would not be possible as you would have to format/ remove the data including the iso from the hard drive.
If you post what your problem is and what you want to achieve someone can probably help.

Edit: I would suggest using a smaller Linux distro if you're using 128mb DSL will run on a system with 64mb(xbox;)) so you should be fine with that

enthusiastic.sady
September 24th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Just for a knowlege, dont take it else way okey,
Last few months back I copied Win Xp CD into my hard disk and booted my computer in DOS. I entered I386 directory in setup directory of windows. And when I ran winnt.exe, Lo ! I just was reading my computer harddisk and on the other hand installing windows ! Everything worked pretty fine. I am using it now.
Is that technology remains to be created in ubuntu installer ?

enthusiastic.sady
September 24th, 2008, 01:30 PM
You can do a wubi install from windows if you have windows installed. If you want to do it with no os this is not possible.
If you want to use the whole hard drive for the install this would not be possible as you would have to format/ remove the data including the iso from the hard drive.
If you post what your problem is and what you want to achieve someone can probably help.

Edit: I would suggest using a smaller Linux distro if you're using 128mb DSL will run on a system with 64mb(xbox;)) so you should be fine with that
Wubi could not run in less than 256mb, and I dont want DSL. I prefer Xubuntu.

tarps87
September 24th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Did you install it to the same partiton? What version of windows was it?
An iso is a disk image so you would not be able to browse this unless you copied the files out of the iso. Dos uses the fat32 or fat16 file system and Ubuntu will by default want to use the ext3 file system which will require formating the partiton. There may be a way using two partitions and Unix but you would need to get the Unix enviroment on to the pc. I am not experenced it this so can not help.

snowpine
September 24th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Wubi could not run in less than 256mb, and I dont want DSL. I prefer Xubuntu.

I would not recommend Xubuntu for 128mb of ram.
Fluxbuntu is the only member of the -Buntu family that will install comfortably with that tiny amount of ram.

enthusiastic.sady
September 24th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Fluxbuntu is the only member of the -Buntu family that will install comfortably with that tiny amount of ram.

Fluxubuntu would be great. It's already my 1st choice but the same problem with that ubuntu family.

I don't think if we call the Ubuntu setup intelligent enough if it cant even know from where it is being loaded into RAM

And would try to mount the CD-ROM unnecessarily, stopping finally just because it failed to find the CD-ROM drive and letting me never to try it in the 1st step itself ? Is this wise installer ?

enthusiastic.sady
September 24th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Did you install it to the same partiton? What version of windows was it?
An iso is a disk image so you would not be able to browse this unless you copied the files out of the iso. Dos uses the fat32 or fat16 file system and Ubuntu will by default want to use the ext3 file system which will require formating the partiton. There may be a way using two partitions and Unix but you would need to get the Unix enviroment on to the pc. I am not experenced it this so can not help.
I did not install the windows on the same partition BUT neither I want my fluxbuntu or Xubuntu to install on the same partition.

I have left a 10GB free space just for installing linux without any partition. Once I install it, I will remove WIN XP.

http://nandan.110mb.com/images/space.jpg

It is windows XP Professional 2002, SP2. But I have also done same with 2006 before.

I am using FAT partition on C:\>

And yes where do my files need to be copied from "iso" before being used ?
I have already extracted them on the root directory of C: as it would be on CD. What can be more good place for any setup to find it. Hah Hah !

snowpine
September 24th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Fluxubuntu would be great. It's already my 1st choice but the same problem with that ubuntu family.

I don't think if we call the Ubuntu setup intelligent enough if it cant even know from where it is being loaded into RAM

And would try to mount the CD-ROM unnecessarily, stopping finally just because it failed to find the CD-ROM drive and letting me never to try it in the 1st step itself ? Is this wise installer ?

Perhaps this is one reason why Fluxbuntu is still a "release candidate" a year later. :)
I love Fluxbuntu, but it is a little buggy...

enthusiastic.sady
September 24th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Thats not problem with just Flxbuntu, but exactly the same problem with Xubuntu too. Its one of the most famous official ubuntu based distribution.