PDA

View Full Version : MoBuntu

dgoosens
September 24th, 2008, 10:46 AM
just yesterday Android was launched...

what about a Ubuntu-flavor for smartphones ?
what about MoBuntu ?

just imagine how nice that would be... wouldn't it ?

what do you think...

dirtylobster
September 24th, 2008, 11:54 AM
http://www.ubuntu.com/products/mobile ?

dgoosens
September 24th, 2008, 02:58 PM
yeah...
I knew about that...

but from what I read and saw about it, it will not be a smartphone OS...
although you might be able to call with it... the Samsung Q1 Ultra or the Elektrobit MIMD won't fit in my pocket...

it's to big and will probably be able to do "to much" and I already have a rather small laptop for that...

what I really would like is an IPhone-ish thing but with Ubuntu on it...

driven1
September 24th, 2008, 03:13 PM
What I'm really looking for is an open smartphone that can be changed to suit me, and one that plays nice with my desktop.

dirtylobster
September 24th, 2008, 06:46 PM
I like my Nokia N95 with Symbian S60.. :p

dirtylobster
September 24th, 2008, 06:46 PM
But I would most def. install Ubuntu on it if possible. :D

driven1
September 25th, 2008, 02:11 AM
I like my Nokia N95 with Symbian S60.. :p

So can you modify or add to the software on your phone? Yeah, I would like ubuntu on a phone.

dgoosens
September 25th, 2008, 08:04 AM
my point exactly...

Next to that, the two models that the Ubuntu team is using for their "mobile" solution are really expensive...

One of the great things about Ubuntu, and most of the Linux distros by the way, is that it can be installed on rather "old" machines.

What we are looking for, or at least I am, is a smartphone that would cost like 200 USD, that does not come with some kind of contract with T-mobile, completely open-source, no proprietary head jack, about 10 Gb of space (extensible with an USB-key (integrated ?) and that fits easily in my pocket...

... and I am pretty sure there would be quite some people that would be interested by this... especially if the "MoBuntu" smartphone includes some basic apps that would satisfy the needs of the professional demand. Nor the I-phone, or the Android are build for the "Business" people (synchronization with Calendar, Mail etc. apps).

There already is some kind of partnership with Dell... I am sure Dell could build the phone and distribute it while the Ubuntu crew could develop a great Ubuntu OS for it...

Fingers crossed, I'd say...

driven1
September 25th, 2008, 05:19 PM
There has to be something to shake up the mobile providers stranglehold on the system. My hope is that iPhone and Android are the cracks that lead to openness. If we can stop tying phones to networks, that would be a major advancement for the end user. So, my fingers are crossed too.