PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cant shut down Xserver

InfSauce
September 24th, 2008, 06:42 AM
Hello all, I am new to linux, and I'm having a ball here trying to figure it all out... But anyway, just going to get down to the meat and potatoes.... I'm trying to install the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.12.pkg1.run (http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/173.14.12/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.12-pkg1.run) driver for the Geforce 9600 GT graphics card. I been wrestling around with this for a few days now (amongst other things, like desperately trying to get "Eve" to run)... And I'm taking more steps back than forward it seems... I installed the most recent version of Ubuntu, the 8.0 something or other, and I cant get out of the Xserver, I tried the Cnt-Alt-F1, as well as Sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop, but in spite of all this, the Xserver appears to remain running in the back ground, because when I try to install the driver using the command prompt, I still get the following error.

ERROR: You appear to be running an X server; please exit X before
installing. For further details, please see the section INSTALLING
THE NVIDIA DRIVER in the README available on the Linux driver
download page at www.nvidia.com.

Vivaldi Gloria
September 24th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Why don't you install the driver using Hardware Drivers which is available in the system menu > admin. or you can use envy.

If you want to install it manually press esc during boot and choose recovery console which doesn't run X.