PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] compiling Audacity from source

coolethan
September 24th, 2008, 04:30 AM
it appears the only way i can do things is to compile them from source and i'm getting the hang of things. i'm trying to install Audacity and i have extracted the .gz file to my desktop using the tar comand thing but i get this error when i put in ./configure

input code:
./configure

output code:
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name
configure:error:C compiler cannot create executables
see 'config.log' for more details

kostkon
September 24th, 2008, 05:38 AM
it appears the only way i can do things is to compile them from source and i'm getting the hang of things.
What do you mean. Why not install it using Synaptic?

coolethan
September 24th, 2008, 03:42 PM
What do you mean. Why not install it using Synaptic?

well i don't have internet on it so i cant use synaptic to download it and its dependancies. also its kinda fun to do the source code thing.

kostkon
September 24th, 2008, 03:56 PM
well i don't have internet on it so i cant use synaptic to download it and its dependancies. also its kinda fun to do the source code thing.
OK. But, to be able to compile it you'll have to install the build-essential (http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/build-essential) package. Fortunately, this package is on the Ubuntu CD.

So, put the Ubuntu CD in your drive, and then install it by doing

sudo apt-get install build-essential

coolethan
September 25th, 2008, 02:26 AM
OK. But, to be able to compile it you'll have to install the build-essential (http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/build-essential) package. Fortunately, this package is on the Ubuntu CD.

So, put the Ubuntu CD in your drive, and then install it by doing

sudo apt-get install build-essential

ok i tried that and it tells me:
The package build-essential is not available but is refered to by another package this may mean that the package may be missing or obsolete
E:Package has no installation candidate

i found the file on the cd and put it on my desktop and tried installing it from the package manager which it told me

Dependencies are not satisfiable: lib6-dev|libc-dev

so does that mean i have to get lib6-dev and/or libc-dev?