PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] lost my taskbar

pcrussell50
September 24th, 2008, 04:15 AM
xubuntu 8.04...not sure what i did, but the gray "taskbar" or launcher at the top of the screen, and the gray bar at the bottom that contains the workspace manager, the one with the browser quick launch, the help quick launch, the button in the upper right hand corner that looks like a door with a red arrow, for system shutdown, logout, restart, etc...anyway, whatever you call that thing, it's gone. i can get to most things, like the browser and the workspace manager by right-clicking or center-clicking, but it's a pain. i'd rather have the bars back.

i played around with all the settings and couldn't get them back. fwiw, this happened right after i installed some updates, [red downward arrow]...but i think it was a coincidence.

-peter

jimmy the saint
September 24th, 2008, 04:56 AM
Applications->Settings->"Panel Manager" then design the panels that you want. To populate them, right click on them and selec "Add to panel" or something to that effect.

pcrussell50
September 24th, 2008, 05:05 AM
Applications->Settings->"Panel Manager" then design the panels that you want. To populate them, right click on them and selec "Add to panel" or something to that effect.

first helper! but...

fwiw, in xubuntu 8.04, the exact syntax is:
settings-> settings manger-> "panel"

when i get that far, and click on "panel" absolutely nothing happens. it changes color when you click on it, so something wants to happen, but it's as if it's a dummy button that "presses" but is connected to nothing.

-Peter

cardinals_fan
September 26th, 2008, 01:08 AM
Hit Alt+F2 and type "xfce4-panel".