PDA

View Full Version : Interesting geek behaviour.

powerpleb
September 24th, 2008, 02:32 AM
I had a bit of trouble connecting to my University's wireless network yesterday (it worked last week, so I don't know what's wrong).

So I approached one of the guys at the wireless support desk and asked for some help. After the obligatory rolling eyes on their part the laptop booted up and he asked me what the OS was. I told him it was Arch Linux and he said he had no idea what I was talking about. Fair enough.

So then I said that if he just helped me make sure the protocols are correct I should be able to sort it out as I had it working in the past.

Then he turned to his colleague and said 'I love f**king with students'. His colleague kinda shrugged and I stared at him somewhat dumbfounded. He then told me he knew lots about Linux and had installed lots of distros and used it himself.

So I said "that means you can help me then" and we tried to sort out the problem (which, incidentally still hasn't been solved).

My question is: why create an awkward situation like that? Is it some kind of CS in-joke that Humanities students don't get? Or can I just put it down to stereotypical geek social ineptness?
I'm not annoyed at all, but I did walk away feeling somewhat uncomfortable and confused.:confused:

Or should I just build a bridge and get over it?

lisati
September 24th, 2008, 02:39 AM
The rascal! Perhaps he shouldn't really have made the comment about ".... with students", particularly not within your hearing. Having said that, at least you now know that he was pulling your leg....

Pogeymanz
September 24th, 2008, 02:58 AM
That's just social ineptitude.

HO HO! What a funny guy! He told someone something untrue but totally believable!

powerpleb
September 24th, 2008, 03:00 AM
Having said that, at least you now know that he was pulling your leg....
Yea you're right.

Like I said. I wasn't really offended by it, and was more than happy for him to assist me. It was just an awkward situation for all involved, which is a bit of a downer because I never usually get to talk Linux with anyone face to face.

NovaAesa
September 24th, 2008, 04:01 AM
I think it's a general thing that goes with CS. Lots of my friends doing CS are a bit like that. They seem to make things turn socially awkward at odd times by saying something stupid.

Brunellus
September 24th, 2008, 05:18 AM
Dirty fact: Most Humanitites students don't know the first thing about their computers. That's why they're Humanities students. I know, I was one.

I usually walk in and geek out with them immediately. They are usually so impressed that I didn't say "MY INTERNET IS BROKEN!" that they willingly go out of their way to help me.

Incidentally, I'm getting similar problems: every so often, dhclient will spit a SIOCADDRT error. I think it's when the DHCP server is on a different subnet from the default gateway--but so far I haven't figured out a way to fix this.

LaRoza
September 24th, 2008, 05:22 AM
Don't expect social grace from geeks. Expect technical prowess.

Also, don't expect neat hair.

sloggerkhan
September 24th, 2008, 05:31 AM
No offense to anyone, but a lot of computer people, particularly college age ones, are arrogant pricks who act like they're gods because they've got a little bit of procedural knowledge.

LaRoza
September 24th, 2008, 05:32 AM
No offense to anyone, but a lot of computer people, particularly college age ones, are arrogant pricks who act like they're gods because they've got a little bit of procedural knowledge.

Then there are the ones that you never see ;)

Computer geeks can be arrogant, but you would be too if people constantly asked you "basic" questions and made fun of you (except when they needed you, of course)

From my point of view, users are people who are impatient, clumsy, and try to do things that they can't do, and blame anything but themselves when things break. They hold themselves above technical knowledge, often showing disdain for it in front of me, yet feel they have useful things to say (except actual useful things)

phillipi
September 24th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Sometimes a person who doesn't have much going for them will build up there egos based on what they know that other people don't. I'm in the military and everytime I need to get a new account setup for something the IT guys treat you like a complete moron. The worst part is I usually know how to do what needs doing, I just don't have admin access... that's their job.

Sigh, just be nice to the tech inept, they may surprise by actually knowing something. If not it never hurts to help someone with a smile.

Ripfox
September 24th, 2008, 05:54 AM
Then there are the ones that you never see ;)

Computer geeks can be arrogant, but you would be too if people constantly asked you "basic" questions and made fun of you (except when they needed you, of course)

From my point of view, users are people who are impatient, clumsy, and try to do things that they can't do, and blame anything but themselves when things break. They hold themselves above technical knowledge, often showing disdain for it in front of me, yet feel they have useful things to say (except actual useful things)

Interesting analysis of a very large demographic...

LaRoza
September 24th, 2008, 05:57 AM
Interesting analysis of a very large demographic...

As I said, that was to counter another stereotype. Those are the ones I remember, just like the techs people remember are the arrogant ones.

sloggerkhan
September 24th, 2008, 06:19 AM
I don't think all tech guys are arrogant, but if someone is willing to work on your computer, they're basically willing to impose their beliefs on you (IE tell you how to have your computer running and set up), so I'd say tech guys are sorta pre-biased towards that end. That said I certainly didn't mean to imply all fit the stereotype. I know a few amazing computer people.

jrusso2
September 24th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Me and my IT friends took all our learning from Simon Bofh.
http://bofh.ntk.net/

Paqman
September 24th, 2008, 07:30 AM
One thing that I find puts a lot of the attitude you get from some IT folks in perspective is to remember that most of them really only have useful skills in quite a narrow field of knowledge. They may know how to drive a particular set of applications or an OS, but most of them couldn't follow a basic circuit diagram or explain how a transistor is made. A lot of them are just system operators, with pretty rudimentary technical knowledge. They've got useful skills, but that's no basis to belittle people with different skill sets.

smoker
September 24th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Also, don't expect neat hair.

:lolflag: no one's going to get rich selling combs to geeks!

Trail
September 24th, 2008, 10:08 AM

QFT.

How about a USB comb, linux friendly, which you can crontab 5 minutes before you wake up.

I'd buy that.

Tomosaur
September 24th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Well where I'm from - the general mantra is 'don't expect people to be nice if you aren't nice to them', and it is kind of used regardless of the profession. The only people who tend to flout the 'rule' are those who aren't native to the city. I have never met an arrogant IT person who has managed to keep hold of their job, and in fact those IT professionals I do know are all really nice people. Kind of introverted, sure, but very easy to get along with and above all - interesting. My uncle is actually a networking consultant / engineer and although the general view of IT geeks is that they know a lot about not much at all - I would go out on a limb and say he's probably the most well read and intelligent person I've ever met.

While at university studying Software Development - and this is absolutely 100% true - the only people who I managed to get along with were people from Liverpool (where I live, and went to university). My course was predominantly Southerners - and although Scousers and Southerners have never really mixed well at all, I just couldn't believe the arrogance of most of them. I'd try to be nice and friendly, and they'd just kind of 'humour' you before they found someone not from the city to talk to. Yes there were a few who I could get along with, and the usual D&D / Anime crowd, but the only real down to earth, friendly people who I would actually call a good friend were from the city / satellite towns.

So I guess what the moral of this story is - if you ever need IT support, try to get it from a Scouser (We're the best!) :P