PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] troubles installing any-damn-thing!

coolethan
September 24th, 2008, 12:57 AM
i have been unsuccessfull installing anything onto my ubuntu OS for as long as i've had it which is about 4 or 5 months and so eventually i just gave up and stopped using the computer because i couldn't get anything to install and therefor it was worthless to me. my computer isn't conected to the internet so i have had to download files to an external hard drive and then transport them to the computer to install them. when i double click on the package in opens up the package installer but no matter what kind of file i downlaod (amd64,i836 or powerpc) it either gives me a wrong architecture error or one that says that the dependency is not satisfied or something to that effect. the computer will be designated for one task only and i only need to install one program. what do i do?

aysiu
September 24th, 2008, 06:44 AM
If you type this in the terminal (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/terminal), the output should tell you what architecture you have:
uname -m

Maybe you can use a live CD on your internet-connected computer and then copy the /var/cache/apt/archives contents to the external drive?

I've heard good things about AptonCD, too, though I've never used it.