PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem with root pw on upgrade

miork
September 24th, 2008, 12:45 AM
I just upgraded this laptop from a factory install of SuSE (its a R61). I had ubuntu wipe out the old / partition, but not touch the /home partition so I wouldn't loose all my files, and when the installation prompt asked me to define a user, I gave it the same name as the main user on the old system so the home directories would match up. I gave it the same password and went on my way... but I never got prompted to give the system a root password.

Now, going through the system and installing all the programs I need installed, I find that not only does the one password I gave the system not fit as the root pw, but neither does the one from the old system (which doesn't surprise me of course).

So what should I do here? I need root access to my laptop! Should I reinstall and reformat everything? I have a backup tarball of my /home directory on another machine, so I wont lose anything. Is there some default root pw that I'm not aware of?

Thanks for any help you guys/gals can offer.

miork
September 24th, 2008, 12:57 AM
btw this was to version 8.04.1

miork
September 24th, 2008, 01:46 AM
Ah ok. I understand what is going on now. The process for installing linux dists has always been the same in my mind... set formatting/mounting, set root pw, set user, etc etc. But I understand now that the user I set up was an administrator and could reset the root password.

All fixed now :)