PDA

View Full Version : Want to learn and help other to use GNU/Linux.

UbuntuStudent
November 20th, 2005, 09:14 PM
I have been useing GNU/Linux for a couple of months and it has been way over my expectations. I have tried a couple of distros, but I definitely find the distros based on Debian to be my favorite and since Ubuntu just works I have ended up here.

Anyway, though everything seems to work just fine, I really want to learn about Linux and many of its applications, but I have no idea of were to start...

While I am learning, I would love to make some video tutorials as I advance to the next levels to help others to learn GNU/Linux "the easy way". I think use of video tutorials could really expand the use of Linux.

There is some things I would like to ask:
*What program can I use to record my screen/mic?
*If there already is a page with video tutorials I would love to see a link
*Would it be possible for the Ubuntu Team to add a video tutorials page to their Community pages
*Which format is supportet by GNU/Linux without any installation of codecs?

Some ideas:
*Installation of a Debiab GNU/Linux based distro
*How to use apt
*Short intro of the desktop:
-The different main GUI's
*Moving to GNU/Linux:
-Adding accounts and buddies to IM clients
-Setting up Evolution, Kontact, Thunderbird...
-Basic use of Gimp, Open Office and other GNU/Linux essential applications
-How to play MP3, DVD and other formats
-How to stream different formats in your web-browser

aysiu
November 20th, 2005, 10:53 PM
Maybe this link might help:
http://software.newsforge.com/software/04/08/16/2128226.shtml?tid=75

It sounds interesting, but, to be honest, I don't know if people dig video tutorials. A lot of times, someone sets up a dual boot and maybe video or sound or the internet are not working on the Linux side of things. So they'd have to watch the video on Windows, boot back into Linux, and then try it, then boot back into Windows and watch another video.

PDFs would be great. I've found PDFs to be helpful because they're meant to be printed (as opposed to webpages), and they can be printed from Windows once and used forever in Linux without having to boot back to Windows for more reference.