PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cool window effects and what not

MikesGuitar
September 23rd, 2008, 11:24 PM
I just got Ubuntu and just got it to recognize my nvidia card and I want to get some of those cool effects like wobbly windows and stuff rocking. How does one do this?

sam_delta
September 23rd, 2008, 11:29 PM
go to system>preferences>appearance, then click on the effects tab, and activate the effects by clicking on normal or extra.

then, you can tweek the effects(activate them and deactivate them) by installing compizconfig-settings-manager
sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager
then go to system>preferences>advanced desktop effects to tweek/configure them

sam

jamesrfla
September 23rd, 2008, 11:32 PM
What you are looking for is called compiz. I do belive the command to get the gui utility is
sudo apt-get install libgnome-compiz-manager0 compiz is installed by default when you install Ubuntu. Let me know how it works out. :)

Bölvağur
September 23rd, 2008, 11:32 PM
I just got Ubuntu and just got it to recognize my nvidia card and I want to get some of those cool effects like wobbly windows and stuff rocking. How does one do this?

Under Applications find Add/Remove and type "compiz" It is the top one called Advanced Desktop Effect Settings. When that is installed go to:
- System -> Preference -> Appearance -> Visual Effects
set it to custom or advanced... not sure what it is called.
You can change all the effects from that application you installed. Which you probably saw just before.

Btw you might want to install Emerald, and even perhaps concky. Perhaps even Awn or some other dock.

Shazaam
September 23rd, 2008, 11:33 PM
Here is a good link for you...
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=809695

Tatty
September 23rd, 2008, 11:33 PM
Go to System->Preferences->Appearance, and select "Normal" or "Extras".

For slightly more control install:

sudo apt-get install simple-ccsm
This will add a "custom" button to the appearances dialog with some extra options.

If you want the full compiz settings manager then install:

sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager
Which should appear in your preferences menu.

If you want to use different window decoraters then you want to install emerald:
sudo apt-get install emerald

steveneddy
September 23rd, 2008, 11:56 PM
WOW! Looks you got all of the right answers!