PDA

View Full Version : [other] graphics problem-- what causes this?

miesnerd
September 23rd, 2008, 09:57 PM
I got a set of pics from a friend today. He knows the problem isnt from ubuntu-- happened when he had windows, too. Wants to know what to replace. Is the weirdness here caused by a graphics card malfunction?

See Atached pics.

Oh, and I promise the pics are not illegal or immoral or unethical or a virus or anything like that. They're just a zip of a few pics he took of his monitor.

Miesnerd

jimmy the saint
September 23rd, 2008, 10:29 PM
Best to just attach pics. The security conscious among us are (justifiably) leary of downloading unidentifiable attachments!

nowshining
September 23rd, 2008, 10:32 PM
does this person overclock and or underclock their videocard??

miesnerd
September 24th, 2008, 12:03 AM
does this person overclock and or underclock their videocard??

no overclocking. Normally, I would have just attached the pics, but there are 11 of them there. To give you a little more background, when he moved cities, something got messed up and he says its not been right since then. We just need to know a) what type of (presumably) hardware problem it is, and b) if its something we can creatively get around. Like many people who find their way to enlightenment (read: linux) he is playing with it on his second computer.

HittingSmoke
September 24th, 2008, 12:23 AM
That almost looks like a monitor issue to me but it could be the vid card as well.

Take the video card out and reseat it. Hell, while you're at it, take out the RAM and reseat it too, something could have been jarred loose in the move. If it's a higher end vid card with a dedicated power connector, make sure it is pluged in securely. Also check to make sure the fan/heatsync on the GPU is secure and seated properly.

If that doesnt work, run a video card burn in test. I dont know of any for Linux, only Windows, but some of them might run in Wine. Some searching on google should point you in the right direction. Also run a temp monitoring app if you can while you're running the burn in test to make sure it's not overheating. That can cause all sorts of screen artifacts. If it is the video card a burn in test should highlight any serious errors in the card itself. If that happens your vid card is hosed and its time for a replacement.

If that turns up no errors, move on to swapping out the monitor cable, then the monitor to see if that's the problem.

miesnerd
September 24th, 2008, 12:59 AM
That almost looks like a monitor issue to me but it could be the vid card as well.

Take the video card out and reseat it. Hell, while you're at it, take out the RAM and reseat it too, something could have been jarred loose in the move. If it's a higher end vid card with a dedicated power connector, make sure it is pluged in securely. Also check to make sure the fan/heatsync on the GPU is secure and seated properly.

If that doesnt work, run a video card burn in test. I dont know of any for Linux, only Windows, but some of them might run in Wine. Some searching on google should point you in the right direction. Also run a temp monitoring app if you can while you're running the burn in test to make sure it's not overheating. That can cause all sorts of screen artifacts. If it is the video card a burn in test should highlight any serious errors in the card itself. If that happens your vid card is hosed and its time for a replacement.

If that turns up no errors, move on to swapping out the monitor cable, then the monitor to see if that's the problem.
Thanks for the good advice. I'll relay it. We were actually coming the other way; the monitor and the cable have both been tested; they're good.
His card is a ATI Radeon 9800.