PDA

View Full Version : cpp crisis

thefestival
September 23rd, 2008, 09:29 PM
I have a huge program I've done for school and i also have an alias to time everything. it's g++ -pg. I tried to use this forgetting where the -o goes and did this:
505 timing -o earthquake.cpp a.out

now my earthquake.cpp has disappeared.

1. is there a way to undo everything you've done to a certain point? (not holding my breath on this)

2. why can I not simply enter a.out, rename it earthquake.cpp and away we go. it won't change it or revert it.

edit: my ./earthquake still works fine. would i be able to rebuild it from that?

help needed

heres my log, just in case it wasn't that particular command that did it.

505 timing -o earthquake.cpp a.out
506 clear
507 timing earthquake.cpp a.out
508 timing earthquake.cpp -o a.out
509 alias
510 timing earthquake.cpp a.out
511 timing -o earthquake.cpp a.out
512 cpp earthquake earthquake.cpp
513 ls
514 cpp earthquake earthquake.cpp
515 alias
516 cpp earthquake earthquake.cpp
517 cpp earthquake.cpp earthquake
518 clear
519 ./earthquake
520 ls
521 vim a.out
522 vim test.out
523 vim earthquake.tt
524 vim earthquake.txt
525 vim a.out
526 vim earthquake.cpp
527 ls
528 vim test.out
529 vim gmon.out
530 vim oeq.cpp
531 vim earthquake
532 vim a.out
533 vim earthquake.cpp
534 ls
535 cat test.out
536 clear
537 ls
538 vim gmon.out
539 list
540 man list
541 u #
542 ls
543 vim a.out
544 vim earthquake.c
545 vim earthquake.cpp
546 vim earthquake
547 vim gmon.out
548 vim earthquake.cpp
549 vim test.out
550 history | more > hist

issih
September 23rd, 2008, 09:38 PM
The a.out file is compiled native machine code, it doesn't resemble the source code any more, so I'd forget that idea. I'm not sure what you've done to lose your original earthquake file, because I don't know what the -o option of the timing program has done with it, let alone what the timing program is actually for, nor why it would need the source code and the compiled program as inputs, frankly I'm confused by it.

I'd suggest looking for an earthquake.cpp~ file in the same directory, linux often saves backups of files that alter using that format.

SeanHodges
September 23rd, 2008, 09:48 PM
Agree with issih, try:

cp earthquake.cpp~ earthquake.cpp

Vim makes a backup file as it goes.

If you get your file back, remember to back it up regularly from now on!

thefestival
September 24th, 2008, 12:19 AM
There is no backup, first thing I checked. I'm thinking that i may be able to reverse the executable(??)

And yes I have learned my lesson about backing up. Such a harsh lesson though.

LaRoza
September 24th, 2008, 12:24 AM
I'm thinking that i may be able to reverse the executable(??)

You disassemble it (that is what it is called), but you'd have to know GAS and Linux extremely well to use it for anything.

thefestival
September 24th, 2008, 12:28 AM
I guess i'm well and truly screwed.

But thanks guys.

Lux Perpetua
September 24th, 2008, 03:50 AM
Decompilation is possible, but it's impossible in general to recover the original source code. I could be totally wrong, but I'd expect decompilation to be more useful when the source code includes debugging symbols, as when compiled with g++ -g. I could be wrong, but hang on to your executable until you're sure.

If you can't get your code back, don't feel too bad; I've done worse. Once I did this:

$ rm core *
rm: core: no such file or directory
rm: cannot remove directory XXX
rm: cannot remove directory YYY
$ # Oh, @#$%
It took me weeks to rewrite the code for that project.

lisati
September 24th, 2008, 04:00 AM
There is no backup, first thing I checked. I'm thinking that i may be able to reverse the executable(??)

And yes I have learned my lesson about backing up. Such a harsh lesson though.

You disassemble it (that is what it is called), but you'd have to know GAS and Linux extremely well to use it for anything.

My limited experience of reverse engineering (disassembly etc) suggests that although not completely impossible, it could be difficult to restore the original c++ code. Having debugging information stored in the executable might be of some help to the disassembler but it will still mean a lot of work and head scratching to reconstruct usable source.

LaRoza
September 24th, 2008, 04:15 AM
My limited experience of reverse engineering (disassembly etc) suggests that although not completely impossible, it could be difficult to restore the original c++ code. Having debugging information stored in the executable might be of some help to the disassembler but it will still mean a lot of work and head scratching to reconstruct usable source.

My experience with reverse engineering (only disassembling, of my own code, which I deleted by accident by putting a space between the word and "*".) was quite good. Python assembly is quite easy to read.

monkeyking
September 25th, 2008, 01:42 AM
Just out of curiosity which editor did you use?

John164918a
September 25th, 2008, 01:55 AM
I've always wanted to know is there some easy program that looks for data remenance? It might not have been overwritten and if you can remember some of the lines?

John164918a
September 25th, 2008, 04:02 AM
Well the command numbered 505 and all commands with "-o earthquake.cpp" dont have any input files that are decent c++ source code, so they wont compile, so g++ shouldnt write anything to earthquake.cpp, even though it might have deleted it.

If you saved an empty file, then even if it was in the same disk space as the original file that got deleted, it probably hasnt actually overwritten anything.

When a file gets deleted, the data is not replaced with all zeros, so the source code is probably on your hard disk somewhere. How easy this is really depends on what file system you have. What file system do you have? the default for ubuntu I think is ext3, which looks quite hard to recover from, but there are various ways to do it.

SeanHodges
September 25th, 2008, 01:07 PM
I've always wanted to know is there some easy program that looks for data remenance? It might not have been overwritten and if you can remember some of the lines?

Ext3 cannot undelete because it clears the inode pointers to the file.

In order to ensure that ext3 can safely resume an unlink after a crash, it actually zeros out the block pointers in the inode, whereas
ext2 just marks these blocks as unused in the block bitmaps and marks the inode as "deleted" and leaves the block pointers alone. - http://batleth.sapienti-sat.org/projects/FAQs/ext3-faq.html

But you can sometimes recover the file by doing a grep search against the device filesystem:

http://jblevins.org/computing/linux/ext3-undelete

I've just tested this against a file I created a and deleted as a test, and it worked. You must do it quickly before the deleted file is overwritten, and it doesn't seem to like it if you have the disk mounted (it worked when I ran it from a live CD).

issih
September 25th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Even if (assuming that the timing command is g++ -pg) those attempts at compilation did only delete the file rather than overwrite it, the cpp commands later might have done nasty things. I am unsure what passing a binary file as the input to the c pre processor will do. I semi expect it will just write out that binary file into the output file as it won't find any preprocessor directives in the "text". Therefore I suspect that the file has been overwritten by now anyway...sadly.

nvteighen
September 25th, 2008, 06:37 PM
My experience with reverse engineering (only disassembling, of my own code, which I deleted by accident by putting a space between the word and "*".) was quite good. Python assembly is quite easy to read.

Can we consider Python bytecode to be an Assembly language? Or are you talking about something else?

LaRoza
September 25th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Can we consider Python bytecode to be an Assembly language? Or are you talking about something else?

http://www.python.org/doc//2.4/lib/module-dis.html

Why not?

nvteighen
September 25th, 2008, 07:23 PM
http://www.python.org/doc//2.4/lib/module-dis.html

Why not?
Interesting. I didn't know that.