PDA

View Full Version : Why was The startup Theme Changed

Vince4Amy
September 23rd, 2008, 09:23 PM
I pieced an old desktop together which I built some time ago today which was running 5.04. I noticed that the Boot Sound has changed, I wouldn't have changed it to a custom one so this must have been the default, does anybody know why it was changed?

aaaantoine
September 23rd, 2008, 09:32 PM
I pieced an old desktop together which I built some time ago today which was running 5.04. I noticed that the Boot Sound has changed, I wouldn't have changed it to a custom one so this must have been the default, does anybody know why it was changed?

5.04? Is that Hoary? That's over 3 years ago. So my theory is the Ubuntu devs wanted to try something new at some point.

tdrusk
September 23rd, 2008, 09:52 PM
I don't think anybody would want to hear the same sounds for the next 3 years.

Vince4Amy
September 23rd, 2008, 10:14 PM
I suppose so, though I somewhat prefer it. I've also noticed that the Gnome Splash Screen was present in this release.

smartboyathome
September 23rd, 2008, 11:23 PM
The splash screen was taken out due to it having a very noticable effect on boot up times, they said they would add it back if it didn't extend that boot up time.

Polygon
September 24th, 2008, 08:31 PM
not to mention the gnome splash screen did nothing. all it said was ubuntu and showed the desktop icon and sat there for a couple of seconds. At least the KDE version tells you what its loading...