PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I/O error during install

joekwme
September 23rd, 2008, 06:53 PM
Hey Guys,

New day. New error.

Today I'm trying to install 8.04 on my old gateway laptop. When the install cd is read I get a box saying "i/o error".

Thanks

Joe

oilchangeguy
September 23rd, 2008, 07:35 PM
Hey Guys,

New day. New error.

Today I'm trying to install 8.04 on my old gateway laptop. When the install cd is read I get a box saying "i/o error".

Thanks

Joe

please define "old gateway laptop". give us it's specs.

joekwme
September 24th, 2008, 05:12 AM
I have an old Gateway Solo laptop, which is :

P11 300 MHz
160mb ram
6Gb hard drive

When I use the install cd, I get to thru the english screen, select install ubuntu, and then the box loading the linux kernel. I get to 100% and then I get this error.

"i/o error
Error reading boot cd
reboot"

I know this is a dinosaur, and I'm wondering if it has enough guts to run this os. If I don't run ubuntu, what other linux could I run?

I am a mcrosoft refugee.

Joe

oilchangeguy
September 24th, 2008, 02:44 PM
I have an old Gateway Solo laptop, which is :

P11 300 MHz
160mb ram
6Gb hard drive

When I use the install cd, I get to thru the english screen, select install ubuntu, and then the box loading the linux kernel. I get to 100% and then I get this error.

"i/o error
Error reading boot cd
reboot"

I know this is a dinosaur, and I'm wondering if it has enough guts to run this os. If I don't run ubuntu, what other linux could I run?

I am a mcrosoft refugee.

Joe

please visit www.ubuntu.com and locate the requirements for each version of ubuntu. this is something you should have done BEFORE you attempted to install it. modern operating systems are not mean't to give life to antiques. try damn small linux.