View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trouble with Java/Facebook

September 23rd, 2008, 06:48 PM
I've seen some similar problems that others have had where flash pages load up as a gray box, well I'm having this problem with the Facebook photo uploder on Fire Fox 2. It will ask me if I want to trust the applet I'm loading, I'll say to trust it or add it to the white list and then I get a gray box that just sits there. I installed "Sun Java 5.0 runtime" thinking that might be the problem but it didn't help anything. I've got a screen shot of my problem in "action", if any of you have any idea how to fix this it would be greatly appreciated if you can let me know.

September 23rd, 2008, 06:50 PM
Could it be flash that you need and not Java?

September 23rd, 2008, 07:18 PM
I doubt it, when I use the computers at school on IE load it up and it has the Java logo all over it.

September 23rd, 2008, 07:24 PM
in terminal type

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

follow the prompts

then restart ubuntu, everything should work

September 24th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Thanks LowSky, I tried that and it started to help, the applet box flashed black a few times but then it went back to being a gray box. I restarted both my computer and firefox after it downloaded an update after restarting.

September 24th, 2008, 01:16 PM
1) What Ubuntu are you using?

2) Are you using a 32-bit or 64-bit os?

September 26th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Hi I have the same problem. I am using Ubuntu 8.04 x64, Firefox 3

I have java for Firefox installed and when I load the page it says "loading applet" in the status bar for a while and then "Start: applet not initialized". I have tested other applets and they work fine.