PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Messing around with command line

Eto_Demerzel
September 23rd, 2008, 06:24 PM
I was trying to change colors/appearance using command line. For example, I found that editing the ./.gconf/desktop/gnome/background/%gconf.xml file would change desktop background color on next reboot/logout and login.

Similarly, editing the ~/.gconf/apps/gnome-terminal/profiles/Default/%gconf.xml file could change terminal appearance. But again, only after logout and login or reboot.

How do I change appearance on the fly, i.e., without having to reboot for the change in settings to take place? (Using command line, I mean)

Thanks.

Yannick Le Saint kyncani
September 23rd, 2008, 06:36 PM
Hi Eto_Demerzel, I could be mistaken because I'm not using gnome any more, but some time ago, changes to the gconf database had effects in real-time.

You just had to use gconftool, now gconftool-2, instead of changing the configuration files.

I hope it still works :)

terry_gardener
September 23rd, 2008, 06:43 PM
you can also change the colour of the terminal using the menu in the terminal windows.

click edit-current provide and select the colour tab and have fun.

Eto_Demerzel
September 23rd, 2008, 07:22 PM
Thanks a lot, Yannick. gconftool-2 was exactly what I was looking for. It still works :)

For example:

gconftool-2 -s /apps/gnome-terminal/profiles/Default/background_color -t string "#110022"

And Ta-daa!!

Yannick Le Saint kyncani
September 23rd, 2008, 08:29 PM
And Ta-daa!!

Well, glad it works.

/me thinks someone is about to play with the gconf database a lot and have some fun :popcorn:

Eto_Demerzel
September 24th, 2008, 12:25 AM
You bet!

:guitar: