PDA

View Full Version : [java]Checking for terminal and getting its window id

Pyro.699
September 23rd, 2008, 06:21 PM
Hello,

I was wondering how I would go about checking for the existence of a gnome-terminal process. If it exists I would retrieve the WINDOWID from it and return that value. If it didn't exist, it would make a window, and then retrieve the WINDOWID normally. I would have started already and posted for assistance but my knowledge on this topic is quite limited. Here are the steps that need to be taken:

A) Check if a terminal window is already open
B) If the window is not open, create a new one
C) After there is a positive existence of a terminal window, retrieve the WINDOWID of that window.

Thanks for all your help,
~Cody Woolaver

Pyro.699
September 24th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Alright, i have gotten the code to check for the windows existence. If its not detected it will make a new one.

package java;

import java.io.*;

public class TerminalExists {

public static void main(String[] args) throws IOException, InterruptedException{
int pid;

if((pid = exists()) == 0){
Process make = Runtime.getRuntime().exec("gnome-terminal");
make.hashCode();
pid = exists();
}

System.out.println(pid);
}

public static int exists() throws IOException, InterruptedException{
Process p = Runtime.getRuntime().exec("ps -u cody");
InputStreamReader reader = new InputStreamReader ( p.getInputStream () );
BufferedReader buf_reader = new BufferedReader ( reader );
String line;

int pid=0;
while ((line = buf_reader.readLine ()) != null)
{
if (line.indexOf("gnome-terminal") > 0) {
pid = getPid(line);
}
}

return pid;
}

public static int getWindowId(){return 1;}

public static int getPid(String line){
String rep = line.replace(" ", "");
String[] spl = rep.split("\\?");
int ret = Integer.parseInt(spl[0]);
return ret;
}
}
Right now i need to figure out how to get a windows id from just its process id. I have made a simple script to get the pid that only requires the output from ps -u cody so that part is simple. Just getting the window id is now the tricky part.

What if were able to send a stream to that pid, and get the output back?

Just an idea...

Thanks
~Cody Woolaver

Pyro.699
September 26th, 2008, 02:32 AM
Sorry for the bump but i need a hand with this baddly, still no progress after 2 days

kavon89
September 26th, 2008, 02:42 AM
Try asking the Java forums (http://forums.sun.com/index.jspa), I go there for most of my specific Java related questions.

There are only a handful of people I see that frequent this forum and know Java well enough to answer your question, tinny comes to mind.

Pyro.699
September 27th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the tip, but i posted and i still havn't gotten a reply from anyone on the Java Forums (http://forums.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5334723&tstart=0). Although you said there wern't many people on these forums who knew java to that level, but i do have faith of the people on these forums :D

stroyan
September 27th, 2008, 11:05 PM
The gnome-terminal application sets an environment variable WINDOWID
with the X11 window ID of its terminal window. That is the window for
the terminal emulator. It is not the top-level window. To find the
top-level window you would need to use XQueryTree and XGetWindowProperty
to get parent window IDs until you find a window with a WM_STATE property.

import java.io.*;
import java.util.*;

public class WindowID {

public static void main( String [] args ) {
Integer window;
System.out.println( "WINDOWID is " + System.getenv("WINDOWID") );
try {
window = new Integer(System.getenv("WINDOWID"));
System.out.println( "WINDOWID is " + window.toString() );
} catch (NumberFormatException e) {
System.out.println("WINDOWID is not valid");
}
}
}

Pyro.699
September 28th, 2008, 12:53 AM
How would this work if the only piece of information i am given is the process id, and also the window title.

Basically im going to be using xterm --into {WINDOWID} and i need to find the simpleist way to get that window id

drubin
September 28th, 2008, 03:43 AM
Thanks for the tip, but i posted and i still havn't gotten a reply from anyone on the Java Forums (http://forums.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5334723&tstart=0). Although you said there wern't many people on these forums who knew java to that level, but i do have faith of the people on these forums :D

Does this have to be written in java? Java really isn't suited to this type system level applications.

Pyro.699
September 28th, 2008, 04:23 AM
no, not really...but im not familiar with any other system languages (other than python, but i dont know if that counts). If you wanted to write me a program that could retrieve a WindowID from a terminal with just the process ID, i would absloutely love you, but other than that, the only language im confortable with is JAVA.

[EDIT]
I do know some c++ but nothing to the level where id be doing that. If someone were to write something in c++ i could compile it

Pyro.699
October 3rd, 2008, 03:55 PM
Does anyone know another language i could use to get this? or point me in a relative direction?

Thanks