PDA

View Full Version : I am a PC commericals are bad

linuxguymarshall
September 23rd, 2008, 06:12 PM
After just seeing Microsoft's new "I am a PC" commercial, i'm getting kinda tired of Microsoft and Apple using a "PC" as their selling point.

I don't have a problem with "ad warring" but PC's are not bad. I use a 100% Linux PC and I think it's great. I wish they would use software as a selling point. In the world of OSX-x86, and BootCamp, hardware is no longer a selling point. You can do anything on one platform or the other.

Anyone else feel like me?

karellen
September 23rd, 2008, 06:16 PM
no. in the MS commercials, instead of "PC" read "Windows"

linuxguymarshall
September 23rd, 2008, 06:18 PM
no. in the MS commercials, instead of "PC" read "Windows"

But the people say "I am a PC"

karellen
September 23rd, 2008, 06:21 PM

for the vast majority of people, PC = Windows. that's what MS is exploiting

linuxguymarshall
September 23rd, 2008, 06:24 PM
for the vast majority of people, PC = Windows. that's what MS is exploiting

I am aware of that. It's sick and wrong. It gives Linux, BSD, and other FOSS bad cred. And what I don't understand is that most idiots buy a mac, then go to the Genius bar to get Vista installed on it.

aaaantoine
September 23rd, 2008, 06:25 PM

Yeah, that's clearly Microsoft's response to the Apple ads.

Firstly, they're all personal computers. Macs are only special because they are Apple branded, especially now that Windows can run on them.

Second, both Apple and Microsoft are making the grossly simplistic connection that PC = Windows, an association that Linux / BSD users ought to find insulting. (Beaten to the punch by karellen. Touché.)

But let them fight it out. By spending their money on advertising, they help to keep the economy rolling. In the meantime, Linux market share continues to climb.

Ub1476
September 23rd, 2008, 06:26 PM
These commercials are either too smart or too dumb to make any selling point. I mean, I can get an urge to buy an iPod by Apples nice ads and graphics (note: I never will), but in these commercials you just remain clueless on what you just saw...

But well, Microsoft is trying to keep Apple from selling Macs, and since many people just know that PC is a PC and a Mac is a Mac they'll use PC as a standing point in the commercial.

But I think they're dumb. I don't blame them though. Must have a hard time making commercials about something such as Vista which will hit people in the heart. :)

semitone36
September 23rd, 2008, 06:28 PM
Those commercials always make me wonder why nobody ever makes a commercial for linux...(aside from YouTube) Its as if the world thinks that the only two options when purchasing a computer are Micro$oft and Apple.:(

Ub1476
September 23rd, 2008, 06:29 PM
It's not very cheap to get contracts with TV stations and such. I have only seen the Microsoft ads on Youtube, but I don't live in USA though..

will1911a1
September 23rd, 2008, 06:30 PM
Those commercials always make me wonder why nobody ever makes a commercial for linux...(aside from YouTube) Its as if the world thinks that the only two options when purchasing a computer are Micro$oft and Apple.:(

It costs a lot of money to advertise and when you're giving your software away it can be tough to pay for that sort of thing.

linuxguymarshall
September 23rd, 2008, 06:34 PM

Find someone with an infinite amount of wealth, that isn't Bill Gates that can afford a commercial that would broadcast on anything besides a small, local television channel that is only watched by stoners waiting for reruns of Mystery Science Theater.

The internet is our only frontier.

semitone36
September 23rd, 2008, 06:39 PM
Haha this reminds me. Has anyone seen the new commercials for vista called the Mojave Experiment? It's Microsoft's attempt to disprove vista's bad reputation but its pretty pathetic if you ask me. There were so many biases and flaws in the experiment that anyone who has taken a highschool level science course could see that Microsoft was manipulating the expirement.

linuxguymarshall
September 23rd, 2008, 06:43 PM
There were so many biases and flaws in the experiment that anyone who has taken a highschool level science course could see that Microsoft was manipulating the expirement.

Of course. If I am 'presenting' Windows Vista to you I can make it look like the best damn thing ever. For most people their first week with Vista will be amazing. But once they learn the basics and try to do more advance things it blows up in their face.

semitone36
September 23rd, 2008, 06:43 PM
It costs a lot of money to advertise and when you're giving your software away it can be tough to pay for that sort of thing.

Thats pretty obvious. I didnt mean to say that someone should dish out the cash for a commercial, I just meant its about time that the the world be more educated about Linux before they spends their money on a Windows or Mac OS

linuxguymarshall
September 23rd, 2008, 06:46 PM
Thats pretty obvious. I didnt mean to say that someone should dish out the cash for a commercial, I just meant its about time that the the world be more educated about Linux before they spends their money on a Windows or Mac OS

If we all donate a US dollar then we can get a 30 second super bowl ad. Its the most watched broadcast in the USA each year.

semitone36
September 23rd, 2008, 06:49 PM
Thats the best idea I have ever heard! We need to get this thread turned into a sticky and make it happen!

linuxguymarshall
September 23rd, 2008, 06:51 PM
Thats the best idea I have ever heard! We need to get this thread turned into a sticky and make it happen!

I'm all for the idea but it just can't happen. Unless MIT is interested...... nah....

semitone36
September 23rd, 2008, 06:54 PM
Or IBM. They are really strong supporters for linux last I checked

god0fgod
September 23rd, 2008, 06:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwL0G9wK8j4

I found that.

linuxguymarshall
September 23rd, 2008, 07:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwL0G9wK8j4

I found that.

Good find

Ub1476
September 23rd, 2008, 07:24 PM
Or IBM. They are really strong supporters for linux last I checked

Or Google.. In a year or two, perhaps.

akbeancounter
September 23rd, 2008, 07:37 PM
If, like me, you object to "PC == Windows," you probably want to stay away from the "I'm a PC" campaign website:
http://imapc.lifewithoutwalls.com/#

The idea is to present the idea of a Windows User Community, something to make Windows users feel like they belong to something special. To accomplish this, they're tapping into peoples' desire to be noticed, by allowing visitors to upload photos and videos of themselves saying "I'm a PC and..." But I love this gem from their FAQ:

[I]I have a Mac, can I participate?

Of course you can. A Mac can be a PC too, (What was the point of this campaign, then?)
most notably when it runs Windows® Vista(TM). {citation needed}

Much as I'd love to upload something, the same FAQ clearly states that they reserve the right to edit out anything that "doesn't fit the theme of the campaign," e.g., anything that criticizes Msoft or reminds people that Linux exists.

I also noticed that on their Wall of Photos, at least a few are duplicates, and they straight-up said that some of the photos will be employees. What's wrong, Softy, can't get 200 people to praise Windows unless you've paid them?

-- A.

akbeancounter
September 23rd, 2008, 07:48 PM
If I am 'presenting' Windows Vista to you I can make it look like the best damn thing ever. For most people their first week with Vista will be amazing. But once they learn the basics and try to do more advance things it blows up in their face.

Consider the most frequent complaints about Vista:
1) Hardware incompatibility
2) Software incompatibility
3) Not knowing where to find things

#1 and #2 aren't issues because Msoft used a preconfigured laptop, no doubt a top-of-the-line model designed to work with Vista. I have a new quad-core desktop, and it runs Vista beautifully because it was designed to. For an average user, somebody who wants to 'upgrade' their existing 3-year-old computer to Vista, or who needs to run specific applications for work or school purposes, the transition is not nearly as easy. As you say, once these users try to install their own software or hardware, the troubles will begin piling up.

#3 isn't an issue because it was a guided tour. So of course they'll be able to turn all the features on and off, and the UAC prompts (which normal users consider annoying and eventually learn to blindly click through because they set themselves up as an admin) can be emphasized as a security feature during the presentation.

If I control what you see and plant seeds to suggest what you should think about it, of course I'm going to get a positive reponse.

-- A.

karellen
September 23rd, 2008, 08:00 PM
I can see Russia from my house!
is this actually true? I mean, over the Bering Strait? :D

akbeancounter
September 24th, 2008, 06:27 PM
having read my .sig, karellen asked:

is this actually true? I mean, over the Bering Strait? :D

Background: "I can see Russia from my house!" was a line from a recent episode of Saturday Night Live, where Tina Fey parodied Alaska Governor and Vice Presidential candidate Sarah Palin.

It is possible, when conditions are just right, to see Russia from certain spots in Alaska. the especially-motivated can go out to the Diomede Islands; one is American territory, the other is Russian, and they're separated by just six miles. But you certainly couldn't see Russia from Wasilla; they're about 350 miles from Alaska's west coast. On the plus side, Wasilla just welcomed its first Chili's, and they're getting a Target superstore next month.

"Russia from my house" has become something of a meme around here, because plenty of people still believe that we all live in igloos, or in little villages like the one in Northern Exposure*. Several of my friends and I have heard tourists ask where they could exchange their dollars for Alaska money. With a public image like that, "Russia from my house" fits right in.

-- A.
* Don't get me wrong, some people do live in little fishing villages and hunt moose for food, but most of the state's population lives in the three main cities.

der_joachim
September 25th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Having seen the Microsoft 'I am a PC' commercials while on vacation in the US, I had a creepy thought. They are using the Apple tagline and they try to bend it to their own advantage. Embrace & extend, anyone? ;)