PDA

View Full Version : What's your occupation?

boobuntu
September 23rd, 2008, 01:05 PM
I'm a Web Developer - been doing this for about 6 years now. I specialize in Microsoft (gulp) tools. Really though, they have some great development stuff.

Now that I'm a Mac user I would love to get into more open source - like php or RoR. I just don't have the time these days.

So what do you guys do for a living?

SupaSonic
September 23rd, 2008, 02:02 PM
I'm a web developer as well. J2EE though.

lukjad007
September 23rd, 2008, 02:05 PM
Network Technician Student.

boobuntu
September 23rd, 2008, 02:06 PM
I'm a web developer as well. J2EE though.

How long have you been at it? Do you like? Do you see yourself doing it for the long haul?

stephenbrazier
September 23rd, 2008, 02:07 PM
Uk High school student.

fwre01
September 23rd, 2008, 02:08 PM
Im a Cisco engineer, iv been working at a IP consultancy company for about 5years since i left college. I use ubuntu for all the amazing network apps it has compared to windows

fwre01
September 23rd, 2008, 02:09 PM
Network Technician Student.

Hey another network engineer! woohoo!

Bölvağur
September 23rd, 2008, 02:10 PM
University student in Iceland. I focus on user interaction, so I take psycology aswell as computer science.

timjohn7
September 23rd, 2008, 02:10 PM
Retired Naval Captain, now fulltime artist (www.pteq.net/tim)

elianthony
September 23rd, 2008, 02:12 PM
I'm a part-time tech at a public library, & a part-time library slave the rest of the time. Been at it for about 2 years now.

Ms_Angel_D
September 23rd, 2008, 02:28 PM
Being Me :D

I'm a Homemaker ;)

But I've been teaching myself about computers for about 15 yrs now, since right before my eldest child was born, and have been building websites for about 10 of the 15 yrs.

ankursethi
September 23rd, 2008, 02:40 PM
University student, and not liking it at all. Degrees are seriously overrated ...

ratmandall
September 23rd, 2008, 02:43 PM
highschool dropout

DrMega
September 23rd, 2008, 02:50 PM
I'm a software developer. Have been doing it for a living now for 13 years. All MS stuff. Mostly Windows apps with a database backend for a big corporation that makes loads of money and pays us peanuts.

University student, and not liking it at all. Degrees are seriously overrated ...

It depends how you look at it. In terms of technical ability degrees are not so great, but many companies hold them in high esteem. While a degree won't make you an expert in anything, they will help you get into a job where you can learn your subject much more quickly than any university can teach you. I suggest stick at it if it is a subject that interests you, even if the course its self is not so great.

boobuntu
September 23rd, 2008, 02:58 PM
I'm a software developer. Have been doing it for a living now for 13 years. All MS stuff. Mostly Windows apps with a database backend for a big corporation that makes loads of money and pays us peanuts.

Well that's a real slap in the face.

ankursethi
September 23rd, 2008, 03:07 PM
It depends how you look at it. In terms of technical ability degrees are not so great, but many companies hold them in high esteem. While a degree won't make you an expert in anything, they will help you get into a job where you can learn your subject much more quickly than any university can teach you. I suggest stick at it if it is a subject that interests you, even if the course its self is not so great.

Oh, I'm sticking at it all right, mostly because you can get quite a bit of money and street cred if you manage to win a prize at one of those inter college festivals.

OldDirtyTurtle
September 23rd, 2008, 03:13 PM
Nonprofit environmental education and some ecology research. Still trying to finish my doctorate after taking on full-time work.

beercz
September 23rd, 2008, 03:24 PM
IT Director for a Construction Design company, amongst other things....

eeeandrew
September 24th, 2008, 02:48 AM
I'm a full time student of Electrical and Electronic Engineering. Currently studying for a BEng Hons.

lisati
September 24th, 2008, 02:53 AM
Hobbyist videographer, with an interest in the field of mental health; also a recycler of tax-payer's money through welfare. In a former life, a software developor.

powerpleb
September 24th, 2008, 03:36 AM
Undergrad student doing a BA in Anthropology, also work with intellectually disabled adolescents in a residential support facility.

In many ways Linux/computers are a big distraction for me.

clash
September 24th, 2008, 03:50 AM
Was a software engineer working for an r&d department of a telecommunications company.

Now I'm (trying to) teaching englishee to Korean children, well for the next 7 days anyways.

powerpleb
September 24th, 2008, 03:53 AM
Now I'm (trying to) teaching englishee to Korean children, well for the next 7 days anyways.
Sweet. I used to do that. In Poland though, not Korea.\\:D/

isaacj87
September 24th, 2008, 03:54 AM
I'm a student (nursing major) who is attempting to become a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA). I've also enlisted into the United States Marine Corps in which I am an Aviation Mechanic.

kellemes
September 24th, 2008, 06:01 PM
mailman

woktrr
September 24th, 2008, 06:12 PM
I'm in customer service, and am a professional doormat for anyone who has a "real" job :(

Dixon Bainbridge
September 24th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Business Analyst mainly, freelance pro photographer (commissioned work) part time.

nowin4me
September 24th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Unemployed failure.

:lolflag:

Paqman
September 24th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Engineer for a train operating company. I sit in the control center and try to fix trains that have broken down in service using only the power of my telephone. As you might expect, this works better some days than others.

Edit: Although according to my post count, I must be pretty damn good at it
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/seret/1337.png

kellemes
September 24th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Unemployed failure.

:lolflag:

You seem to be the happiest of all ;-)

benny bronx
September 24th, 2008, 06:27 PM
I hang out with criminals

nowin4me
September 24th, 2008, 06:29 PM
You seem to be the happiest of all ;-)

Thanks... But I am not proud of myself for being it.

Any one got a job they can give me in the UK? Then PM me on my profile.

mick222
September 24th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Bricklayer

Gutt
September 24th, 2008, 06:34 PM
High School student in France

ounas
September 24th, 2008, 06:44 PM
ADP Teacher

:guitar:

Dragonbite
September 24th, 2008, 08:26 PM
My first, and best job is the one with the job title "Daddy"

But for money, my job title is "Data and Systems Analyst" for a small financial company. This means I am a Developer, Help Desk and anything electronically orientated :).

In the computer field, if you are not developing applications for which the company is making money off of, then you are in a "customer service" type position (internal and/or external).

I work on our ASP.NET (VB.NET) Intranet application with a Microsoft SQL Server back-end.

We utilize Crystal Reports (mostly via ASP.NET) and Adobe Acrobat (for PDF control/support). Both of which, I am the primary help contact for everybody in the office.

I'm running Office 2007 to get comfortable with it before we move everybody else up from 2003 (which I am the primary help contact in the office)

I'm also in charge of calling for service and supplies for our copier/printers. Although it would have been nice of them to let me know we got a new printer and they are trying to install it BEFORE I just put in a call for a whole bunch of supplies.

In my "spare" time I work at trying to run a coup with the systems administrator to move from being Microsoft-centric to a more open source environment. Currently we have our virtual machine server running openSUSE and our development environments are virtualized.

Le-Froid
September 24th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Middle school student

Daisuke_Aramaki
September 24th, 2008, 09:20 PM
ph.d candidate in systems biology

david_lynch
September 24th, 2008, 10:28 PM
I'm a unix system administrator/analyst at a fortune 100 company. At work I have an ubuntu desktop and manage suse servers. At home I have a suse desktop and ubuntu servers, the better to facilitate my small linux consulting business.

OutOfReach
September 24th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Just another (High School) student here.

teknnoid
September 24th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Field Service Tech, banking equipment. Everything from vaults to security systems, pc's, and atm's. Various operating systems (windows and OS2, mainly. Some Unix). If it's in a bank, I fix it.

I've been a RF tech, automation designer and implementer, software developer, web designer, and manager. The latest gig is the best so far. I work from my house. The only time I see anyone else from my company is when I have to travel to help someone fix a nasty problem.

earthpigg
September 25th, 2008, 12:05 AM
Sergeant of Marines.

Rifleman by trade, currently on embassy duty.

rawr

:)

NE Key
September 25th, 2008, 12:11 AM
SAR (Search And Rescue) Mission Coordinator in Her Majesty's Coastguard.

Writing new software, algorithms and search theory to achieve Dynamic Search Area Coverage.

dsacproject.co.uk

And paid peanuts.

ddarsow
September 25th, 2008, 12:17 AM
Law student. Also own an e-commerce company and do web development and graphic design.

y-lee
September 25th, 2008, 12:29 AM
I am an overly educated mostly unemployed brick mason :)

Bricklayer

Dang and I thought i was the only mason in the universe using linux :lolflag:

markbuntu
September 26th, 2008, 02:22 AM
I have retired to finish carpentry, nice relaxing hands on work that beats crawling around on ships fixing their crappy broken computers and radars and stuff like that in the freezing ice and snow or pouring down rain or blistering heat at all hours of the night and day.

Nice relaxing work with regular hours and good pay and lots of free time to fool around with troubleshooting Ubuntu, my side job. No pay, no perks, but keeps my troubleshooting skills sharp and actually helps people. Always feels good to be helping people out who are trying to go their own way.

Corfy
September 26th, 2008, 03:55 AM
I work at a small newspaper outside Indianapolis, IN, USA. I was hired on 8 years ago as a reporter (which goes along nicely with my major in journalism).

But six years ago, I was made the IT department... mainly because I know more about computers than anyone else in the building (which isn't saying much).

earthpigg
September 26th, 2008, 05:04 AM
I work at a small newspaper outside Indianapolis, IN, USA. I was hired on 8 years ago as a reporter (which goes along nicely with my major in journalism).

But six years ago, I was made the IT department... mainly because I know more about computers than anyone else in the building (which isn't saying much).

thats pretty awesome, speaks well for small town America.

worx101
September 26th, 2008, 05:08 AM
HP Win Server/Workstation Admin

tylerspaska
September 26th, 2008, 05:12 AM
Geneticist

earthpigg
September 26th, 2008, 06:20 AM
Geneticist

seriously...?

cuz if so, i demand Free and Open Source DNA codes for a Steaktree.

doorknob60
September 26th, 2008, 06:23 AM
High school :D

lanr01
September 26th, 2008, 06:26 AM
i am a press journeyman for a can plant. Been into computers since I got my first 386sx back in 90 i think it was, and setup a BBS running under deskview with qemm If memory serves me.. Been a computer geek every since Lol All self taught. Did some web page design for a bit. Ran a small pc repair shop out of my home for about 3 yrs as a side project about 8 yrs ago.

S0VERE1GN
September 26th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Fine Dining server 3 days a week

Log home and condominium developer 7 days a week

College student with dbl major (Business Management and Accounting) 5 days a week

total of:15 days a week, not bad:guitar:

Corfy
September 26th, 2008, 03:01 PM
thats pretty awesome, speaks well for small town America.

Well, I knew a few things about computers because I tinkered around with my home computer, and I had my own website. I also took two programming classes in college, where we learned PASCAL.

So one day I was approached by my boss who wanted to create a new position. I would be in charge of creating a new website for the paper (we didn't have one at the time), and I would handle the smaller, day-to-day computer problems (he knew I helped with that already if I could), and our previous computer person, who was also in charge of one of the departments and thus had too much to do, would handle the larger problems as they came up.

I thought that would be a good idea. I would train under this guy for a while and probably eventually be moved up into being in charge of it all. In the meantime, I would learn a lot about computers. Or so I thought.

That lasted for about two weeks, when this other guy announced, "OK, you have Jason (me) doing computers. I'm not doing them anymore," and promptly went through selective amnesia while focusing on the department that he was in charge of, leaving me in charge of all the hardware and software in the building with no training and little practical experience. I seemed to be the only one in the building who was surprised with the timing of his announcement.

So suddenly I went from tinkering on my home computer and playing around with my personal website, which I started for fun, to being the one person in charge of 60 workstations (mostly Windows, some Mac), four servers, five printers, and trying to design a business website.