PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No view of hard drives

shawfield
September 23rd, 2008, 12:23 PM
Ubuntu is great & I have had no big problems so far.

However, why is it that Ubuntu doesnt recognise the other partitions on my hard drive ?

I wanted to copy my music from what was my c: drive in windows ( its still there in its own partition ) over the network.

But Ubuntu only shows the partition that Ubuntu is installed upon. It does not display any details of the other ( original ) partition. This is the same whether I have properly installed Ubuntu, or whether I am using a live CD.

Is there a different application to use to 'see' those files on the other partition ? I am using the 'places' menu on the panel & clicking on 'computer'.

Thanks
Mike

tangibleorange
September 23rd, 2008, 12:26 PM
Ubuntu is great & I have had no big problems so far.

However, why is it that Ubuntu doesnt recognise the other partitions on my hard drive ?

I wanted to copy my music from what was my c: drive in windows ( its still there in its own partition ) over the network.

But Ubuntu only shows the partition that Ubuntu is installed upon. It does not display any details of the other ( original ) partition. This is the same whether I have properly installed Ubuntu, or whether I am using a live CD.

Is there a different application to use to 'see' those files on the other partition ? I am using the 'places' menu on the panel & clicking on 'computer'.

Thanks
Mike

could you post the output of:

sudo fdisk -l

pastalavista
September 23rd, 2008, 12:39 PM
Check System>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager and install (if they aren't already) ntfs-3g, ntfs-config and optionally, ntfsprogs. Then reboot and see if it helped.

Circus-Killer
September 23rd, 2008, 12:47 PM
its also important to remember that linux doesn't have a c: or d: etc.

instead, partitions and drives are mounted to an empty directory. for example if i wanted to mount the partition labeled /dev/sda2, i would mount it to something like /media/sda or whatever. point being that you access a drive or partition by mounting it to a directory and then go into that directory to view the drive/partition contents.

shawfield
September 23rd, 2008, 12:49 PM
root@mike-desktop:/home/mike# sudo fdisk -1
fdisk: invalid option -- 1

Usage: fdisk [-b SSZ] [-u] DISK Change partition table
fdisk -l [-b SSZ] [-u] DISK List partition table(s)
fdisk -s PARTITION Give partition size(s) in blocks
fdisk -v Give fdisk version
Here DISK is something like /dev/hdb or /dev/sda
and PARTITION is something like /dev/hda7
-u: give Start and End in sector (instead of cylinder) units
-b 2048: (for certain MO disks) use 2048-byte sectors
root@mike-desktop:/home/mike#

tangibleorange
September 23rd, 2008, 12:51 PM

sorry that's a lower case L - l
not a 1. my bad, i should have cleared that up...

shawfield
September 23rd, 2008, 12:51 PM
Sorry - wrong parameter !

This is better...

shawfield
September 23rd, 2008, 12:52 PM
oops...the curse of Ctrl-C in Linux strikes again. I can never get that to work...

root@mike-desktop:/home/mike# sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x45b32571

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 1019 8185086 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 1020 19457 148103235 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 1020 1528 4088511 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda6 1529 3293 14177331 83 Linux
/dev/sda7 3294 19104 127001826 83 Linux
/dev/sda8 19105 19457 2835441 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Orange_and_Green
September 23rd, 2008, 01:00 PM
Hello Mike :)

I hate to break such news to you but... I can't see any Windows partitions in there... You obviously did a manual partitioning when you installed Ubuntu the first time... are you sure you did not delete/overwrite the Windows partition?

You are talking about network... Is the C: partition you are talking about supposed to reside on the same computer you are using for Ubuntu, or are we talking about two different computers on a LAN?

shawfield
September 23rd, 2008, 01:41 PM
Its all a bit odd.

I removed the drive & connected via an enclosure to my Acer One ( Linpus Linux Lite ).

That reports a volume called 'x' ( which, when I viewed it on my Ubuntu machine, I presumed was a Linux directory ). This contains all of the files you'd expect to see on a Windows root directory - autoexec,bat, config.sys etc. My old music directory is there too, but no 'windows' directory. The folder was very 'flaky' under Linpus Lite & kept hanging.

When I put the drive back into my ubuntu machine, it is indeed shown there as 'x', but contains only one file "pagefile.sys" & has 85gb of free space.
No music directory & no autoexec.bat etc etc.

Curioser & curioser...

tangibleorange
September 23rd, 2008, 04:45 PM
Its all a bit odd.

I removed the drive & connected via an enclosure to my Acer One ( Linpus Linux Lite ).

That reports a volume called 'x' ( which, when I viewed it on my Ubuntu machine, I presumed was a Linux directory ). This contains all of the files you'd expect to see on a Windows root directory - autoexec,bat, config.sys etc. My old music directory is there too, but no 'windows' directory. The folder was very 'flaky' under Linpus Lite & kept hanging.

When I put the drive back into my ubuntu machine, it is indeed shown there as 'x', but contains only one file "pagefile.sys" & has 85gb of free space.
No music directory & no autoexec.bat etc etc.

Curioser & curioser...

hmm that's not good. i'd try and pull any files you need off the windows partition any way you can (onto an external hard drive or DVD or USB stick) and then reformat the drive...