PDA

View Full Version : One-Click newbie button to install non-free softwares

Lord C
September 23rd, 2008, 12:06 PM
I think it would be quite useful to have a 'Non-free Addons' button, available after installing Ubuntu.

Maybe under the System menu, or something?

I'm just thinking about newbies to Linux here. From my experiences, they need something like this.

A lot of my friends have given Ubuntu a go, after seeing it running so nicely on my system. But when they get it home and install it, and have trouble playing DVDs or Flash websites - they can get easily disheartened.

A one-click solution, to install ubuntu-restricted-extras, win32codecs, corefonts and non-free-flash would be great. These are all pretty much things that someone coming from Windows just 'expects' to see working, without having to open up Synaptic and install some mysterious packages.

I like the way nvidia gives new installs the option to install the resitricted gfx drivers. This is the kind of thing I'm talking about.

I just found the Idea Pool, hidden away under 'Development & Programming'. Could a mod please move this thread there?

@MetalHellsAngel: I totally agree. I think your idea is much better.

Ms_Angel_D
September 23rd, 2008, 12:11 PM
Maybe instead of a button, Just a Welcome To Ubuntu First Run Window, explaining that you need to install these features and how. This would serve two purposes it would alert Noobs to the Linux way of installing software as well as letting them know why the software doesn't work right away. An option to enable a Linux Beginners suite could be added to the install process and checkmarked on by defualt, that way experienced users wouldn't have to deal with it and could turn it off during the install process.

You should add your Idea to Brainstorm (http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/)

Ms_Angel_D
September 23rd, 2008, 02:32 PM
No Problem LordC Let me know if you add this to brainstorm, I would like to Vote on it :D

original_jamingrit
September 23rd, 2008, 03:07 PM
I've always liked that you could install Linux Mint instead for the non-free experience. Not to disparage on any individuals for their own preferences, but I think it reflects better on Ubuntu that the focus is away from easy-to-install non-free stuff, and on more important things.

Although, MetalHellsAngel's idea is pretty cool.

aysiu
September 23rd, 2008, 03:09 PM
Maybe new Linux users should get Ubuntu installed and configured for them.

That's what new Windows users do.

If they buy it from Dell, for example, it will come with DVD playback and MP3 playback installed.

Ms_Angel_D
September 23rd, 2008, 03:54 PM
Having it installed for you is not always an option, My folks live a few thousand miles away and you can forget walking them through anything over the phone, but my dad still want's to give Ubuntu a try, but can't until I'm there.

Preinstalled is great but not always an option. The hardest part about getting people to use Ubuntu on a pre-installed system is that most people are going to have a hard time spending the kind of money a computer costs on a system they haven't used before (especially if they are used to or have always used windows).

I buy Miracle Whip I was raised on Miracle whip, to me it's my Mayo, Hellman's Mayo might be as good or better I don't know but when I go to the store I'm going to buy Miracle Whip because I'm familiar with it.

I mean what is the harm in explaining these things to people right there in front of them? I personally would have welcomed such a thing when I first began using Ubuntu. It's not like we're saying Install A bunch of New software and have it right there, just a welcome window explaining a few things, Not to mention, if such a thing was there and available you wouldn't be faced with the same repetitious questions abounding on the forums.

I had something like the attached image below in mind.

aysiu
September 23rd, 2008, 04:09 PM
Well, in special cases where preinstalled and installed-for-you aren't immediately available, I'd go with Linux Mint.

BigSilly
September 23rd, 2008, 04:33 PM
Great idea OP. Anyone else have the feeling with Linux though, that no matter how easy they make it users will still complain it's not easy enough? I think the very fact that it's different to Windows is problem enough for a great many people, so it would be a mistake for Linux to...I dunno...stop being Linux.

I mean, I'm a simple home user with zero technical background who migrated from Windows (thanks to WGA) quite happily and successfully. The really easy Linux's helped make that first step a doddle for sure (my first real Linux was the ultra-easy Freespire). But after a bit you start to feel as though you're missing something, which I why I tried out other distros like Mandriva, Fedora and Ubuntu once my confidence had built up. Ubuntu for me hits a nice balance between functionality and ease of use. You might have to delve here and there, but really it's no more difficult than delving into anti-virus stuff or other such things on Windows. Just different. My point is, if someone has the desire to use Linux, then they'll find their way whatever the weather. Making it more Windows-like ruins the whole Linux deal.

Not that this is what the OP suggested for a second. These are just my personal observations. As I say, great idea OP.

smoker
September 23rd, 2008, 04:43 PM
a well written 'readme' on the desktop would be enough, i think. there are quite a few distros with all the restricted stuff, etc, included, eg, linux mint, pclos - would be nice to have a list for reference!

Ms_Angel_D
September 23rd, 2008, 04:50 PM
a well written 'readme' on the desktop would be enough, i think. there are quite a few distros with all the restricted stuff, etc, included, eg, linux mint, pclos - would be nice to have a list for reference!

Exactly this is what I was referring to something in the manner of a piece of documentation, made easily available to new users such as a welcome to Ubuntu screen.