PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu installer stops in disk partitioner

webmiester
September 23rd, 2008, 08:12 AM
Hi guys,

I am using a Dell Inspiron 4000 with a Pentium 3 850mgh processor and 80GB hard drive.

I downloaded an 8.04 ubuntu installer, and its MD5SUM adds up correctly. I wrote it on a CD and on CD check, no errors were found.

My problem is that it takes forever for the installer to move from page to page after clicking the "formward" button. it can't reach the Disk partitioner.

i tried the F4 option of using the lesser Graphics installer Mode, and it moves from page to page faster :), but when it gets to the disk installer, it seems to just be loading forever from the CD and hard disk :( In one instance, it was able to get beyond scanning disks, but when I reached the partition menu (Guided, Automatic, Manual), it seems to be stuck there, with the CD reading again taking forever :(

I wrote a total of 5 disks and the best disk gets only as far as described above. I was able to install Windows XP the day before throught the XP installer. About 60% of the hard disk is currently on XP while the other 40% is unpartitioned.

What do you think could be the problem? Do you guys think an alternative text-based installer will work?

Also, which settings in the disk partitioner would be best so that I dont lose my Windows XP? Thanks a plenty

lisati
September 23rd, 2008, 08:23 AM
I'm not familiar with the specs of some of the Dell systems: how much ram (memory) does your computer have?

webmiester
September 23rd, 2008, 08:33 AM
I'm not familiar with the specs of some of the Dell systems: how much ram (memory) does your computer have?

Its just 256MB, but I was able to install the older Guttsy Gibson Ubuntu with ease last year.

robert shearer
September 23rd, 2008, 09:59 AM
Its just 256MB, but I was able to install the older Guttsy Gibson Ubuntu with ease last year.

From the official Ubuntu installation page.....Recommended minimum requirements

Ubuntu should run reasonably well on a computer with the following minimum hardware specification. However, features such as visual effects may not run smoothly.

* 700 MHz x86 processor
* 384 MB of system memory (RAM)
* 8 GB of disk space
* Graphics card capable of 1024x768 resolution

Sound card

A network or Internet connection

With only 256 Mb ram you should consider installing Xubuntu which will install from the live cd on a 192 Mb machine and RUN on 256Mb

webmiester
September 23rd, 2008, 03:42 PM
From the official Ubuntu installation page.....Recommended minimum requirements

Ubuntu should run reasonably well on a computer with the following minimum hardware specification. However, features such as visual effects may not run smoothly.

* 700 MHz x86 processor
* 384 MB of system memory (RAM)
* 8 GB of disk space
* Graphics card capable of 1024x768 resolution

Sound card

A network or Internet connection

With only 256 Mb ram you should consider installing Xubuntu which will install from the live cd on a 192 Mb machine and RUN on 256Mb

Oh Yeah... or maybe I should just upgrade my memory. I actually thought I had more, I was surprised when I opened my computer and saw such meager memory... Thanks...