PDA

View Full Version : SSL brute force attacker

oneadvent
September 23rd, 2008, 05:56 AM
I am looking for a program that will do a brute force attack on an open ssl port.

What are my options with Ubuntu?

Thanks!

CptPicard
September 23rd, 2008, 06:50 AM
You could always ask the NSA... ;)

The whole point of SSL is that you're not going to be able to brute-force your way into the traffic. If you could, you really need to file a bug or something.

Now, if SSL is used only to encrypt end-to-end and not authenticate and you can actually get a cleartext connection to the port, then it's all up to whatever is running at the other end.

tinny
September 23rd, 2008, 08:44 AM
SSL can be broken. But the thing that makes a crypto system like SSL secure is the fact that it cant be cracked within a reasonable amount of time.

I read an article the other day saying that given todays computing power a hacker would require 1 trillion years to brute force attack a 128bit SSL key.

Good luck.

StOoZ
September 23rd, 2008, 10:03 AM
1 trillion years? thats it?

using divide and conquer methods (with many threads...) this can be lowered , I guess.

CptPicard
September 23rd, 2008, 10:07 AM
Your amount of threads (and say, distributed boxes) grows linearly, whereas your key space size grows exponentially in the number of bits... that's why this won't work. When you have your million boxes together, all we need to do is to add a few more bits.. :)

annatar
September 23rd, 2008, 10:18 AM
Your amount of threads (and say, distributed boxes) grows linearly, whereas your key space size grows exponentially in the number of bits... that's why this won't work. When you have your million boxes together, all we need to do is to add a few more bits..

That might not be of much use when quantum computers come out...:mad:

oneadvent
September 23rd, 2008, 01:17 PM
Right, that drifted away....

I meant only as a login to the system. I don't see what is so hard, it asks for a username and it asks for a password. It gives you 3 chances at a password then it ends the connection.

There has to be a program, albeit a slow one, that will brute force the password until it gets in.

I mean if it was a website I could use jack or something, isn't there one for a simple ssl login?

CptPicard
September 23rd, 2008, 01:36 PM
I mean if it was a website I could use jack or something, isn't there one for a simple ssl login?

If it really was so simple that there was a cracking tool, UNIX security would be a total joke and we'd have a humongous global zombie network in our hands.

Typically a login system makes you wait for an increasing amount of time at each wrong answer, and should limit concurrent attempts. Keyspace size takes care of the rest.

signifer123
September 23rd, 2008, 04:37 PM
Right, that drifted away....

I meant only as a login to the system. I don't see what is so hard, it asks for a username and it asks for a password. It gives you 3 chances at a password then it ends the connection.

There has to be a program, albeit a slow one, that will brute force the password until it gets in.

You use things like this (http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~greg/sshdfilter/) to prevent people bruteforcing.

But use THC-Hydra to test how long it will take for you to crack your own passwords. It can also check all other sorts of passwords.

oneadvent
September 23rd, 2008, 06:16 PM
I had seen THC-Hydra but I did not see where it specifically included ssh attacks.

Thanks for the tip, I will look into it further!

tinny
September 23rd, 2008, 10:08 PM
1 trillion years? thats it?

using divide and conquer methods (with many threads...) this can be lowered , I guess.

There is WAY more to it than that.

If it really was so simple that there was a cracking tool, UNIX security would be a total joke and we'd have a humongous global zombie network in our hands.

Typically a login system makes you wait for an increasing amount of time at each wrong answer, and should limit concurrent attempts. Keyspace size takes care of the rest.

Not to mention that usually important sites will lock you out after 3-5 failed login attempts.

Hackers have pretty much given up on this type of attack and rather go for a key logging or phishing approach.

But an over confident student will always waste their time... :)

CptPicard
September 23rd, 2008, 10:33 PM
But an over confident student will always waste their time... :)

As pmasiar likes to say... attitude is no substitute for competence.

oneadvent
September 23rd, 2008, 11:21 PM
Well so far I have tried a bunch of times and it hasn't locked me out.

How about a deb of Hydra? or better yet xhydra?

Ye of little faith.

tinny
September 24th, 2008, 12:44 AM
Well so far I have tried a bunch of times and it hasn't locked me out.

How about a deb of Hydra? or better yet xhydra?

Ye of little faith.

Being locked out has nothing to do with SSL. Any web site worth its weight will lock you out after X failed attempts.

What exactly are you doing? Do you have some sort of automated program that hits a web site with different user name and password combinations? If so you are not attacking SSL.

To attack SSL you will need to somehow get a sample of an SSL encrypted HTTPS request and then run your genius brute force attack on that. E.g Run the encrypted request though a cipher with many many... different key combinations. (Brute force attack in its simplest form)

tinny
September 24th, 2008, 12:57 AM
BTW: It looks to me like this THC-Hydra attacks weak passwords not SSL.

cprofitt
September 24th, 2008, 01:51 AM
SSL can be broken. But the thing that makes a crypto system like SSL secure is the fact that it cant be cracked within a reasonable amount of time.

I read an article the other day saying that given todays computing power a hacker would require 1 trillion years to brute force attack a 128bit SSL key.

Good luck.

Assuming your 128bit SSL key actually had 128bits of randomness - yes.

slavik
September 24th, 2008, 02:06 AM
there is a project that took a 64bit encrypted message and a decrypted message and then tried to find the key using brute force ... took them like 5 years (this is a distributed system a la seti@home/folding@home). Now, they are doing the same with 75 bits, when they were asked about 128bit AES ... they said they would never try it.

oneadvent
September 24th, 2008, 03:37 AM
Okay its like this, maybe i'm wrong on the terminology, I type:

ssh -l Administrator 207.151.177.30

It then asks for my password, which it gives me 3 chances of guessing.

Now, there has to be a program that will try passwords out of a list file until it gets in.

drubin
September 24th, 2008, 03:54 AM
I am looking for a program that will do a brute force attack on an open ssl port.

What are my options with Ubuntu?

Thanks!

Is this even a valid question on these forums? asking for a hacking program?

oneadvent
September 24th, 2008, 03:56 AM
I'm sorry if I crossed the line, they can delete my thread, but this is something that should be available, if not just for the security standpoint.

drubin
September 24th, 2008, 04:00 AM
I'm sorry if I crossed the line, they can delete my thread, but this is something that should be available, if not just for the security standpoint.

It is ok I assume (I am not a mod).

What security standpoint would this be about? as the other posts have listed Brute force is next to imposible giving a humans lifespan and the average life span of a server.

You will be dead and have replaced the server before you would crack it by brute force.

oneadvent
September 24th, 2008, 04:08 AM
See thats what i'm not understanding, if I were to open the dictionary and start trying passwords from the beginning it would take maybe a couple months, but it could be done, now automate that and do it w/o front end display times.

And the practical application would be someone testing their own box remotely.

drubin
September 24th, 2008, 04:11 AM
See thats what i'm not understanding, if I were to open the dictionary and start trying passwords from the beginning it would take maybe a couple months, but it could be done, now automate that and do it w/o front end display times.

And the practical application would be someone testing their own box remotely.

That is a little different from asking for an application to brute force a password. brute force is supposed to try /ever/ possible combination. Your method limits it to dictionary words. hugely less.

I do have another question on this topic what is the encryption algorim used to use your login password in the /etc/shadow file.

oneadvent
September 24th, 2008, 04:20 AM
this is my shadow file:

root:!:14138:0:99999:7:::
daemon:*:14062:0:99999:7:::
bin:*:14062:0:99999:7:::
sys:*:14062:0:99999:7:::
sync:*:14062:0:99999:7:::
games:*:14062:0:99999:7:::
man:*:14062:0:99999:7:::
lp:*:14062:0:99999:7:::
mail:*:14062:0:99999:7:::
news:*:14062:0:99999:7:::
uucp:*:14062:0:99999:7:::
proxy:*:14062:0:99999:7:::
www-data:*:14062:0:99999:7:::
backup:*:14062:0:99999:7:::
list:*:14062:0:99999:7:::
irc:*:14062:0:99999:7:::
gnats:*:14062:0:99999:7:::
nobody:*:14062:0:99999:7:::
libuuid:!:14062:0:99999:7:::
dhcp:*:14062:0:99999:7:::
syslog:*:14062:0:99999:7:::
klog:*:14062:0:99999:7:::
hplip:*:14062:0:99999:7:::
avahi-autoipd:*:14062:0:99999:7:::
gdm:*:14062:0:99999:7:::
pulse:*:14062:0:99999:7:::
messagebus:*:14062:0:99999:7:::
avahi:*:14062:0:99999:7:::
polkituser:*:14062:0:99999:7:::
haldaemon:*:14062:0:99999:7:::
oneadvent:$1$6Bx/Gy2o$KcOkNtVBYljxAqmiIlY5z0:14140:0:99999:7:::

well using a dictionary should be the idea used here.

tinny
September 24th, 2008, 04:45 AM
So lets say we are trying to brute force a login. We need both a user name and password.

The user name is say 8 base 64 characters and the password is 8 base 64 characters.

I may be wrong but in total that's 1.1579208923731619542357098500869e+77 combinations, right?

Also, any worth while system should have measures in place to detect a denial of service attack (even if its a weak attack) E.g repetitive hits from a single IP.

We are dealing with unimaginable numbers here. (If the user has chosen a strong password, personally I don't use any words that exist in the dictionary)

Targeting weak user name / passwords may be a different story...?

LaRoza
September 24th, 2008, 05:03 AM

Ssh! That is the basis for my runtime...

As pmasiar likes to say... attitude is no substitute for competence.

Except in politics.

Is this even a valid question on these forums? asking for a hacking program?

No. Although it is impossible, thus, not closed.

LaRoza
September 24th, 2008, 05:03 AM
I may be wrong but in total that's 1.1579208923731619542357098500869e+77 combinations, right?

Give or take a couple.

LaRoza
September 24th, 2008, 05:04 AM
You will be dead and have replaced the server before you would crack it by brute force.

Machines are patient...

drubin
September 24th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Machines are patient...

/me runs for the hills, LaRoza going into hacking mode.

I am offically going to pack up and move to the mountains and live in a mud hut where the machine can not find me. :)

oneadvent
September 25th, 2008, 04:26 AM
See but you are all failing to narrow the possibilities down, for instance we can assume that most people that are using windows machines don't change the default user, so we can have a file of "passwords" being 2000 or so long and a file of "usernames" being 20 or so long, now we have narrowed our attempts to 40k...and say on average it takes 4.5 seconds (10 seconds to log in and 1 second each time for 3 chances.) times 40k gives us a total time to run time of 50 hours, or two days roughly, as a failure, less with passing.

Now someone tell me that isn't possible.

I bet that kind of program would succeed 70 or so percent of the time.

slavik
September 25th, 2008, 04:55 AM
See but you are all failing to narrow the possibilities down, for instance we can assume that most people that are using windows machines don't change the default user, so we can have a file of "passwords" being 2000 or so long and a file of "usernames" being 20 or so long, now we have narrowed our attempts to 40k...and say on average it takes 4.5 seconds (10 seconds to log in and 1 second each time for 3 chances.) times 40k gives us a total time to run time of 50 hours, or two days roughly, as a failure, less with passing.

Now someone tell me that isn't possible.

I bet that kind of program would succeed 70 or so percent of the time.
that's not a brute force attack anymore, it is now a dictionary attack.

Now, onto nitpicking. SSL is used for encryption not authentication. authentication is done with hashes (md5 is very common, although there is a move to the SHA family now).

so, here's something simple to crack ... pick a 64bit symmetric key encryption method (triple DES or such) and then encode a message with some key. record the time needed to make the encryption. if it's too fast, do it like 100 times or something (and take the mean). then take the time and multiply it by 2^64 (number of possible keys in 64bit) ... now you have the time it would have taken you to try all possible keys on your system. if you want, convert the key to an unsigned int and multiply it by the average encryption time and you get the time you'd need to get to that key.

you can do the same with 128bit ... if you want more fun, try a 256bit AES ...

if you want more fun, try a 1kbit SHA2 :)

oneadvent
September 25th, 2008, 04:58 AM
Right thats all fun, but I'm talking very basic here guys. A batch type program that just continues to try just like if I sat here and did it myself.

Isn't there a program for that sort of attack?

slavik
September 25th, 2008, 05:02 AM
never seen one and if you were trying to log in to a system where there is an increasing timeout before you can try again, it would take a long time ...

oneadvent
September 25th, 2008, 05:03 AM
Well I sat here for 10 minutes doing it and I did not get slower, just much more annoying. Thats when I thought, surely someone has seen this weakness and written a program to exploit that.

Surely.

tinny
September 25th, 2008, 05:14 AM
Well I sat here for 10 minutes doing it and I did not get slower, just much more annoying. Thats when I thought, surely someone has seen this weakness and written a program to exploit that.

Surely.

](*,)

What weakness!?!?!?

oneadvent
September 25th, 2008, 05:17 AM
OMG I explained it like 4 posts ago.

Using a dictionary attack of 2000 words and 20 usernames you could easily crack into 70 percent of computers running ssl on default values in 2 days.

That is a weakness. Now such a weakness would not apply to a Linux computer.

I'm sorry I fail to see how you see no weakness in a 2 day hack.

tinny
September 25th, 2008, 05:29 AM
Im sorry but you really are clueless.

Think about it. 70% of computer users (hundreds of millions) can be reduced to just 20 user names.

running ssl on default values

Can you please explain default ssl values...

oneadvent
September 25th, 2008, 05:38 AM
No you just aren't thinking outside of the box.

I'm saying 20 percent of people on ******* machines that just use whatever default username their computer comes with. Or they choose things like Mine or Sister or whatever, that would be a small list.

Look you are assuming that people that do not use windows want a secure password on their computer and the fact is they do not. They want something easy to remember.

y@w
September 25th, 2008, 06:03 AM
Are you talking about SSL or SSH? I fail to see how SSL has anything to do with any of this..

oneadvent
September 25th, 2008, 06:04 AM
OMG

Your right. This has become a total fail thread by that one error.

Yes I meant SSH....

:(

slavik
September 25th, 2008, 06:05 AM
you need to read about botnets and how people take computers over, you are making a complicated solution to a simple problem.

oneadvent
September 25th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Um so admin....anyway we can change this to SSH in the title?

y@w
September 25th, 2008, 06:11 AM
Ok, you keep saying SSL..

Anyway, you are absolutely right.. SSH is not inherently secure. Just because it's encrypted end-to-end doesn't make it secure. It's secured either by using alternative authentication practices or strong passwords or some other means. Using the default openSSH settings, it's pretty easy to get brute forced. However.. Windows doesn't come "out of the box" with an SSH server so I don't see how that applies.

It's not necessarily a weakness in SSH.. Anyone could put up an open relay SMTP server if they wanted, too.

oneadvent
September 25th, 2008, 06:17 AM
So what program can I use to do that?

Cause Hydra is apparently impossible to install.

y@w
September 25th, 2008, 06:29 AM
I haven't dabbled on that side of brute-forcing an SSH connection, so I wouldn't know. It looked like it would be a straight-forward compile though..

y@w
September 25th, 2008, 06:32 AM
I'm still very curious on how you plan on doing this with Windows, however..

Like slavik said I think you're over-simplifying the solution.

oneadvent
September 25th, 2008, 06:33 AM
Ya well I cant figure it out, and I'm not alone there is a thread for that evil program. I dont understand why they cant just make a deb of it and save us all the pain of figuring out what dependency isn't met.

LaRoza
September 25th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Um so admin....anyway we can change this to SSH in the title?
No. I left it open because SSL was impossible. Such discussions are not allowed on the forum ;)

However.. Windows doesn't come "out of the box" with an SSH server so I don't see how that applies.

Neither does Ubuntu.

tinny
September 25th, 2008, 08:27 AM
OMG

Your right. This has become a total fail thread by that one error.

Yes I meant SSH....

:(

Ok so now we are talking about SSH. ;) ;) ;) (Correct acronyms are important :) )

So your theory is that there are all these Windows noobs using "sister", "brother", "mum" etc... as a user name on their windows machines that they have taken the trouble to install an SSH server on right?

Now, is the above a likely scenario?

Anyway, yes a POORLY setup SSH server can be brute forced. But it is just sys admin 101 to setup a SSH server correctly.

FYI: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AdvancedOpenSSH

(Now I think it is time to close this thread as no good can come out of answering the OP's question: "So what program can I use to do that?")

LaRoza
September 25th, 2008, 08:39 AM
(Now I think it is time to close this thread as no good can come out of answering the OP's question: "So what program can I use to do that?")

Quite right. Closed.