PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dell Inspiron 1525 - Vista to XP - Ubuntu

pizzipie
September 23rd, 2008, 05:42 AM
Boy, I'm so upset I'm about to split a gut!!!

My goal is to get rid of Vista, Install XP, Install as Dual boot - Ubuntu Hardy 8.04.1.

I just exchanged an Acer computer because of similar problems because I knew Dell supports linux. Acer must be owned by Microsoft.

The new computer is Dell Inspiron 1525 w/Vista. June 2008.

Well I re-partioned the hard drive using SystemRescueCd into one 250 G partition w/NTFS.

When I tried to install XP got this message "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer"

I called Dell, did diognostics; all ok; Referred to Software people; they said they did not support XP, dual booting. GO SEE YOUR TECH!!!

Well, there is no TECH where I live, or anywhere close. SO ...
I thought I would try to partition using a fat32 partition with the following results;

Try to delete existing partion-got following

FDISK -l
reports -/dev/sda1 250 GB xx...xx Bytes 101 heads, 32 sectors per track, 151112 cylinders, units=cylinders of 3232*512 = 1,654,784 bytes;
Device-/dev/sda1, Boot ; Start 1; End 152; Blocks 244140+, ID 7, System HPFS/NTFS

CFDISK
reports /dev/hda
size 191,901,696 bytes, 191 MB
Heads 255, Sectors per Track 63, cylinders 23
Name ; Flags ; Part Type primary/log; FS Type Free Space; Label ; Size(MB) 189.19

PARTIMAGE - Says Partition to Restore Sda1 Unknown file system 238.42 MiB

Well I'm now totally over my head!!! Have I ruined the hard drive (yes there seems to be one) I just am at a total loss as to what to do next. The only other thing that I know may be to re-install Dell's Vist disk. (If that will even work now).

Please help!!

Thanks in advance,

Rick P.

sonofusion82
September 23rd, 2008, 05:57 AM
aha, the pain of installing XP into new machines.
i have a similar experience when installing win2k into a new machine
try google on "slipstream xp with sata driver"