PDA

View Full Version : Is Linux ready for the Pocket? The T-Mobile G1 is here!

50words
September 23rd, 2008, 05:01 AM
http://lawyerist.com/2008/09/22/the-first-android-phone/

Yes, I realize the OpenMoko also uses Linux, and Symbian is open source in theory, but this is huge.

Android is developed from the ground up as an open-source smartphone operating system. And it looks like they really put the effort into making sure the first Android phone would showcase the OS's capabilities.

I won't be camping out, but I will be eager to paw the G1 the first chance I get, and looking for an excuse to replace my Blackberry Pearl.

T-Mobile product page: http://announcement.t-mobileg1.com/

50words
September 23rd, 2008, 12:18 PM
Seriously, nobody cares about the first Android phone?

Chilli Bob
September 23rd, 2008, 12:38 PM
Well, it's hard to get excited when the product page contains no information yet.

I'd probably consider getting something like this, but it's unlikely to be available down here anytime soon.

nowin4me
September 23rd, 2008, 01:41 PM
I care I all most killed my Moblie Phone by putting it in a drink.
I think I will just flush my phone down the loo.

*flush*

Where can I get one of these G-Phones?

Yeti can't ski
September 24th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Well, just like Chrome, Android will be open source, but it is designed with the very specific purpose of protecting Google's interests and projects for searches on mobile devices, not those of the final user.

It is great to see Google challenging M$ and Apple, particularly when it does so using open licenses, but at the end of the day, corporations are corporations. Not good nor evil, just profit-oriented (which is by the way perfectly normal, acceptable and necessary).

Google is already in charge of my internet searches, my favourite internet video site, my e-mail account, my on-line calendar and some documents made with their on-line text editor. It is scary! I don’t like having it inside my phone’s OS!:shock:

I want Google to bring fresh air and competition to the market and to give old guys like M$ and Apple a hard time, not replace them as the big boss around.

At this regard, OpenMoko seems a lot more the typical grassroots community-based free software project. A small start up company runs it. I don’t know. It just looks nicer. I am only waiting for them to release a non-developer version of their phone to get a Neo Frerunner.

I know it will be buggy in the first days, but I also know that community help will be at hand and within time it will get better and better and will still be free (as in “free speech”, and new applications will also be free, as in “free beer”). Just like Ubuntu. :):cool:

Sealbhach
September 24th, 2008, 12:02 PM
I'm just not interested in fancy phones. I just use my phone for talking to people and texting.

I don't like doing anything else with a tiny screen and keyboard.

Is the Android Linux based?